Disney Streaming is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join the Operational Resiliency Engineering team.
Operations Resiliency Engineer team bridges the gap between Engineering and Operations, breaking down communication barriers to ensure operational needs and engineering requirements are clearly understood. Lead Software Engineer take this shared understanding and facilitate solutions through supporting APIs, UIs, Platforms, and real-time data processing pipelines.
As a Lead Software Engineer for the Operational Resiliency Engineering team, partnerships with internal engineering and operations teams are leveraged to identify and address gaps in inter-team processes, and tools, that are essential to support operational maturity, agility, and resiliency. You will leverage full-stack engineering toolsets, and a clear understanding of the problem, while you gather constant stakeholder feedback in a fast-paced and iterative development process. You will build value for teams quickly, saving them time and energy while focusing on their critical deliverables. Software Engineers help improve the signal-to-noise ratio of monitoring, alerting, and auto-mitigation systems through a deep understanding of the process - from instrumentation to deployment and runtime, all the way to incident management and resolution.
OREs drive collaboration between engineering and non-engineering stakeholders. Constantly dropped into unfamiliar codebases, APIs, technologies, and workflows, a Lead ORE needs to lead solutions development by leading partnership conversations and quickly achieving situational awareness. Effective communication is key to success. A Lead ORE is an effective collaborator to the skilled teams we work with, listening to their needs and forming an understanding of the process, work, and the problems they'd like to address.
The primary skill a Lead Software Engineer should possess is the confidence and ability to communicate and work effectively in unfamiliar situations. In working with so many teams, all with different backgrounds, processes, expertise and technologies - it's critical that a Lead Software Engineer can adapt quickly, assess the situation and provide quality solutions to those teams' problems. It is also critical that we act quickly and use our full-stack knowledge to enable those solutions & traverse any barriers that may pop up.
If you enjoy a fast-paced work environment where you can use your engineering knowledge to improve the effectiveness and happiness of diverse teams... If you enjoy constantly being challenged by unfamiliar situations, using those situations as a way to learn and improve your craft... If you enjoy having one-on-one conversations with the users of your tools, finding fulfillment in their successes, working with them to iteratively make your tools more useful...then the ORE team is right for you!
• As a Lead Software Engineer, you should have familiarity with much of the following:
• Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Terraform)
• Systems (Linux fundamentals, resilient deployment practices, inter-service Networking with AWS VPCs and Load Balancers)
• Security (IAM, OAuth, secure coding practices)
• Data storage, transformation, and transfer (MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis, Kafka, Kinesis, Avro...)
• Programming languages (Object-oriented, Functional, Declarative, Interpreted, Compiled, Scripted...)
• Application Runtime and Deployment (Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins/Spinnaker)
• API development, architecture, and communication (REST, GraphQL, SQS & Asynchronous Processing, Scaling techniques, HTTP Status Codes and HTTP Protocol Standards)
• Software Reliability and Resiliency Practices (Circuit Breaker & Bulkhead pattern, background processing and failure handling, inter-region fallbacks/failovers, best-case/worst-case/average-case performance)
• Inter-team communication (facilitating discussion, weighing trade-offs, navigating friction, technical concepts)
• Modern Frontend Development (JS, React, HTML, CSS, SCSS...)
• UX, Data Visualization and Information Architecture (fundamentals of effectively gathering, cleaning, analyzing, framing and communicating with data)
• Incident & Change Management (familiarity with ITIL, runbooks, or a background in Operations is a major plus
• Enterprise Software & Policies (understanding of basic restrictions and policies around SOX, PCI, Personally-Identifiable Information)
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpx7z9-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.