Lead Software Engineer
Come help shape the future of interactive platforms underpinning Disney products used by millions of users every day!
As a member of Interactive Platform Engineering team within the Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology Division you will be part of a fast paced, passionate team that builds and maintains complex, high throughput systems for managing user generated content. These systems support flagship Disney products including Disney+, ESPN Fantasy Football, Marvel and ABC News. You will assist in the design, development, test and deployment of high-quality software solutions. You will be challenged to help the team efficiently maintain, enhance and scale platforms that serve millions of Disney users every day. You will apply excellent communication skills while interfacing with both technical and product teams to capture new system requirements and then apply your proven development chops in the delivery of innovative solutions for those requirements. You will be challenged to work at traffic volumes very few engineers ever approach… and you will be rewarded by a job you love!
Describe what the person will do in the role - how he/she will impact the organization. As a Lead Software Engineer on the Interactive Platform Engineering team you will participate in the design, development and testing of extremely high throughput, low latency user generated content systems. These systems are used to drive highly personalized and rewarding user experiences across a broad spectrum of Disney products including ESPN Fantasy Football, Marvel, ABC News and National Geographic.
As a member of the engagement engineering team you will:
• apply your pragmatic and proven software skills to predictably deliver well-crafted code
• demonstrate your passion for technology by solving unique challenges within the industry
• rely on your sense of ownership and professional pride to deliver high quality, low maintenance software
• gain and/or apply mastery of Java, AWS, Cassandra and other leading high scale technologies
• leverage strong communication skills to collaborate with various technical and product stakeholders
• partner with tech leaders to help grow and mentor fellow engineers
• feed your thirst for learning new skills and technology as part of the larger DEE organization
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
• Java development / automated testing
• maintenance and support
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, software, electrical or electronics engineering, or comparable field of study, and/or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 7+ years of professional experience
• Deep understanding of the Java programming language and object-oriented programming
• Self-starter with proven ability to deliver high quality software in a pragmatic fashion
• Proven ability to solve challenging technical problems
• Proven ability to learn new technology and/or complex systems
• Proven ability and highly motivated to mentor and help grow other engineers
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
• 10+ years of professional experience
• Master's Degree in Computer Science
• Hands on experience with Cassandra or other NoSQL DBs
• Full stack / front end engineering experience
• Hands on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
• Experience working on highly scalable real time software platforms
The hiring range for this position in CT, CA, WA, and NY is $149,300 to $219,200 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Shared Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7o8p8-44-212-94-18-42 in your application.