Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY
The Walt Disney Company's Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) is a new, global business segment for The Walt Disney Company with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits. Combining the Company's direct-to-consumer streaming services – ESPN+, the Disney+ streaming service and its ownership stake in Hulu -- alongside Disney's international media businesses, DMED aligns cutting-edge technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand the Company's global footprint and deliver highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world.
The Disney Media and Entertainment (DMED) Communications team is seeking a Director of Communications to join the Direct-to-Consumer team, focused on Disney+ and Hulu.
This position will report to the VP of Communications, Disney+ and Hulu, based in New York. The Director, based in New York, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, will lead strategic communications for the four-key cross-business teams supporting the streaming platforms, including Data and Analytics, Product and Design, Technology, and Viewer Experience.
This role will involve partnering closely with executive technical leadership at the company; where this individual will be responsible for developing and leading world-class communications efforts dedicated to showcasing Disney+ and Hulu leadership in product, technology, and data, as well help position The Walt Disney Company as a leader in streaming video technology.
The individual will lead a small team of communications professionals to oversee the execution of a range of high-impact communications programs.
The ideal candidate has strong media relationships across tech, business, and consumer publications; deep executive communications experience; and proven ability to partner collaboratively with cross-functional stakeholders to identify and develop technology narratives and execute high-impact communications programs.
The right person for this role is deeply familiar with, and has a passion for technology and entertainment, is an expert storyteller and a strong writer.
• Develop and implement a strategic communications plan that supports the organization's vision and goals and long-term strategy for Disney+ and Hulu product, tech, and data innovation.
• Partner closely with the technology, product, data science and viewer experience executive leadership to develop and manage strategic communications programs.
• Lead cross-functional crisis communications action teams during incidents, including technical outages and disruptions.
• Lead the development of messaging, press materials and blog posts around our DTC technology platforms.
• Establish and track against clear communications KPIs and goals.
• Manage the Disney Streaming technology blog; provide expert counsel on key stories and areas of differentiation, develop, produce (as needed) and edit content for the blog.
• Develop thought leadership platforms for Disney's Direct-to-Consumer cross-functional executives.
• Manage technical speaking and awards programs, updating and tracking key events, pitching speakers and securing speaking engagements that elevates Disney technology leaders.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with press, bloggers and influencers in the technology space.
• Bachelor's degree
• Experience in technical communications at a high growth technology, product, or direct-to-consumer business
• Experience with media relationships across tech, business, and consumer publications
• Great mix of technical knowledge, technical writing skills and creativity.
• Experience with cross-functional leadership
• Experience working with C-level technology executives
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and tasks, innate sense of urgency and ability to manage up to executives.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.