Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology
On any given day at Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology, we're reimagining ways to create magical viewing experiences for the world's most beloved stories while also transforming Disney's media business for the future. Whether that's evolving our streaming and digital products in new and immersive ways, powering worldwide advertising and distribution to maximize flexibility and efficiency, or delivering Disney's unmatched entertainment and sports content, every day is a moment to make a difference to partners and to hundreds of millions of people around the world.
• Building the future of Disney's media business: DE&E Technologists are designing and building the infrastructure that will power Disney's media, advertising, and distribution businesses for years to come.
• Reach & Scale: The products and platforms this group builds and operates delight millions of consumers every minute of every day – from Disney+ and Hulu, to ABC News and Entertainment, to ESPN and ESPN+, and much more.
• Innovation: We develop and execute groundbreaking products and techniques that shape industry norms and enhance how audiences experience sports, entertainment & news.
Media Engineering is an innovative organization that is passionate about providing the best possible video playback experience, art, and metadata to customers worldwide, powered by exceptional technology. This work requires streamlining and repurposing technology across different business and distribution channels – including streaming, linear, and theatrical – so that technology can ebb and flow across the needs of the business.
As a Lead Content Distribution Engineer supporting the Distribution Engineering team, you will specialize in caching technology, distributed networking, and operational experience in CDN edge services. We are looking for a CDN engineer excited by a fast-paced environment, exposure to new technologies and be engaged in exciting Disney initiatives with high visibility. Here, you will develop and maintain CDN configurations for all CDNs in the Disney Distribution Mesh.
Areas of focus include:
• Configure and manage CDN configurations in the Disney Distribution Mesh
• Actively manage OpenCache deployments with ISPs globally
• Actively review performance metrics across our caching infrastructure for improvements
(in concert with operations and performance management teams)
• Review capacity and ensure alignment with global distribution strategy
• Oversee Day-to-Day operations of Disney Distribution Mesh
• Participate in tooling development to integrate 3rd party CDNs into unified control plane
• Operational Management Contact for CDN support – actively managing incidents via communication with CDN support teams
• Identifying areas for caching configuration tuning and adjustment
• Work to solve caching issues in concert with our operations and engineering organizations
• Provide consultation on caching solutions to internal partners
• Provide senior tier-3 on call evaluation, escalation and support
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
Focus on operations & management of cache solutions
Support product driven initiatives and projects
Develop engineering tooling and automation
Training & mentoring
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Software, Electrical or Electronics Engineering, or comparable field of study, and/or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience managing caching solutions, preferably in a Content Distribution Network environment
• Experience in Content Distribution Network operations environments
• Expert knowledge of CDN Provider architectures and configurations
• Understanding of streaming video protocols (HLS) and how it interacts with caching
• Ability to perform Network Troubleshooting
• Knowledge of video players and impact on cache logic
• Knowledge of following
• HTTP/DNS/Internet Architecture
• Caching (Varnish)
• Web Serving (NGINX, HAProxy)
• Cloud Technologies (AWS, GCP)
• Scripting Languages (Python, et al)
• Security Protocols (SSL Certificates, TLS)
• Configuration Management (Ansible, AWX)
• Effective communication, written and verbal
• Passion for troubleshooting and debugging
The hiring range for this position in Burbank, CA is $124,000.00 to $166,200.00 per year, or New York City the range is $129,900 - $174,100 per year.. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology:
Disney Entertainment and ESPN Technology (DE&E Technology) provides the technological backbone and product development for Disney's two media business units, while helping to keep the company at the vanguard of innovation – enabling the Company to continuously leverage technology to enhance storytelling and creativity, while delivering scalability, flexibility, and efficiency for its businesses.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv8nxn-44-200-77-92-42 in your application.