This is a key leadership role that partners with the Executive Producers, Art Director, Producer, and subcontracted animation studio to execute the creative vision of the show while working within the schedule and budget for the series. The Assistant Art Director will work directly with the Art Director and art team to ensure a quality and consistency of style throughout the series. They must be comfortable dealing with internal and external departments on a daily basis. They will have strong management skills to oversee and give feedback to artistic crew. They will be responsible for anticipating and problem-solving complexity issues. This role requires collaboration with and leadership of a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment.
• Works closely with the Executive Producer, Art Director, and Director(s) on all aspects of the series' look and mood.
• Assists the EP and Art Director to continue the visual style of the series, creating conceptual and production artwork. This includes the Art Review, Black and White Line Art Review and Color Art Review for Executive approval.
• Works closely with Art Director in overseeing design team, delegating work and monitoring their schedules to create and maintain consistency with the design of the project
• Reads Outlines/Scripts, attends Storyboard pitches and Animatic reviews, and flags potential complexity or design count issues.
• Maintains production schedule provided by Producer to ensure cost effective, timely production.
• Works alongside with Art Director in communicating and problem-solving with vendor animation studio. Works with the Production team and the Digital department.
• Reviews proxy, geometry, texture, and surface materials for final approval (if applicable to a CGI series).
• Participates in episodic handouts for Location, Props and Background Keys with oversite from series Art Director.
• If applicable, creates color scripts outlining the tone.
• If applicable, approves pre-production materials from vendor studio.
• Participates in artwork breakdowns, with knowledge of series asset assumptions.
• Provides guidance on calling retakes involving Layout, Playblast and Take 1 returns.
• Collaborates with Color Stylists on creating and ensuring Lead Sheets are accurate.
• Provides Background Paint or Location Design assistance as needed.
• 2 years of experience in artistic animation production
• Experience leading a team preferred
• Experience working with oversees vendor studios preferred
• Knowledge of drawing software that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Harmony and 3D technology, where applicable
• A broad knowledge of artistic styles, color theory, latest technology, and film preferred
• Strong leadership qualities with the ability to partner with Creatives and Executives, collaborate with peers, and manage and mentor artists
• Ability to oversee multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to align with style and sensibility of show
• Positive attitude with the ability to be flexible
• Excellent organizational, verbal, written, e-social skills and acumen
• Ability to travel outside of the country
Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
Equal Opportunity Employer--Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity