Data Scientist - AI / Ml
San Francisco, CA
The MarTech Engineering Team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for creating software solutions for Disney+ and ESPN+ marketing teams. We use tagging, targeting, testing, and feedback to optimize the marketing spend and efficacy of creative content for both paid and lifecycle engagement messaging.
The Senior Messaging Software Engineer will participate in the creation of internally-facing high-speed streaming applications for consumer messaging. This includes in-application marketing and informational messaging, as well as messaging thru SMS, Push Notifications, and social media applications. These messages are in support of marketing campaigns, transactional requirements, content recommendation & discovery, and a variety of other marketing and business-related use-cases.
You will have the opportunity to work on interesting projects using Apache Flink, Kafka / Kinesis, and Dynamo with the aim to build software that is distributed, reactive, and scalable. You'll be working with a modern tech stack built in AWS on the JVM. Experience with Java is required, but exposure to alternative JVM languages such as Scala and Kotlin are beneficial. Your responsibilities will include designing, developing, and maintaining complex back-end software systems which must be scalable, reliable, and efficient.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Integration of user-facing elements with server-side logic
• Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
• Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
• Implementation of security and data protection
• Creating data models that represent and support business processes
• Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
• Software development on messaging applications
• Collaboration with stakeholders on application requirements & design
• 4-6+ years of commercial experience building web applications in Java with exposure to alternative JVM languages (Kotlin preferred)
• Experience with designing and evolving efficient data storage and network protocols using technologies such as Google Protocol Buffers (Protobuf) or Avro
• You have solved complex problems and know how to take a new perspective on an existing problem.
• Real-world experience doing complex integrations between multiple systems, servers, and environments
• Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
• Have experience with public cloud technologies (AWS preferred)
• You have the ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
• Excellent understanding of software development fundamentals
• Experience with writing unit, integration and functional tests
• Proven ability to integrate with service APIs and/or SDKs.
• Experience working in a modern, agile software team with version control & project management tools (eg Github, Git, Jira, Basecamp)
• Apache Flink experience
• Functional and/or streaming data programming experience
• Building resilient applications that handle failure gracefully
• A reliable team player who values the way we work as well as what we work on
• Accountable, with self and others, and can help the team push forward thru ambiguity while staying positive and having fun
• An excellent and open communicator (verbally, in writing, thru documentation, thru code comments, in status updates, ticket comments, diagrams, etc.)
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field), or equivalent work experience
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.