Our teams work in small, cross-functional squads that promote Agile practices to ensure each team and their respective squads are responsible for the collection of mico-services that they have built, and the delivery of that product.
Disney+ topped 100 million active subscribers just 16 months from launching and we have aspirations for many more. Ensuring all of our millions of users have the magical experience they come to expect from Disney, when watching their favourite shows is a challenge that we relish. This means scaling, and reliability is our primary focus in everything we build.
As a backend development team we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that are applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Cats, http4s, FS2, Spark and Cats Effect as well a wide range of cloud native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place where teams are responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications, and we are actively expanding our SRE function so we advance our knowledge of concepts such as Observability, Reliability and Availability.
As a Senior Scala Engineer at Disney Streaming Services you will have the opportunity to work on interesting projects using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Kinesis and Dynamo with the aim to build software that is distributed, reactive and scalable.
• Lead a significant part of the implementation and deployment of services within your team.
• Work on challenging and varied business domains including video encoding, digital rights management, advertising, authentication and payment services.
• Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration and, by your example, lead others in your team to do likewise.
• Develop your technical understanding to support and build your career.
• Act as a mentor and an example to others in your team and across the organisation.
What we would like to see:
• Some commercial experience with Scala.
• We would love to see some prior experience with (or a willingness to learn) the Lightbend Reactive Platform, but any JVM (Scala, Java, Clojure) or Functional Language (Haskel, Lisp, Scheme) background is great!
• Experience creating scalable web applications with modern frameworks like http4s/Akka/Play
• An understanding of Functional concepts, preferably with Scala.
• Knowledge and experience building large scale distributed systems.
• Experience with Cloud Infrastructure, preferably with AWS.
• Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks such as: Play, ScalaJS, AngularJS, ReactJS.
• Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
• A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
• Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
• An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
• Have experience with or an interest in ''DevOps'' tooling.
• Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.