Since the initial launch of Disney+ in November 2019 we've now launched in multiple territories (Europe, LATAM, APAC) and have amassed 86.8 million paying subscribers, as of December 2020.
We need your help to continue to scale until we've built a platform that can be accessed from anywhere at any time.
The User Services Teams:
We are functional scala enthusiasts (Cats / Scalaz / ZIO / shapeless etc) that care about following best practice.
We're responsible for things like registration, login and authentication, profiles and personalization, and compliance for Disney+ & ESPN+
Our teams work in small, cross-functional squads that promote Agile practices. As a backend development team, we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that is applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Play and Cats, as well a wide range of cloud-native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
Been interested in scala for a while? You have probably heard of Cake Solutions if so, which is how we began in London. Cake was acquired by Disney in 2018, so we have a lot of experienced engineers that are known across the scala community.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place, where the team is responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications - ''You build it, you run it.''
• Contribute to or lead a significant part of the implementation and deployment of services within your team.
• Work on challenging and varied business domains including video encoding, digital rights
• management, advertising, authentication, and payment services.
• Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration and, by your example, lead others in your team to do likewise.
• Develop your technical understanding to support and build your career.
• Act as a mentor and an example to others in your team and across the organisation.
• Have some commercial experience with Scala
• Have experience or at least an interest in functional programming
• We'd love to see some prior experience with (or a willingness to learn) the Lightbend Reactive
• Platform, but any JVM (Scala, Java, Clojure) or Functional Language (Haskel, Lisp, Scheme) background is great!
• Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks like Akka /play etc
• Have experience with public cloud technologies - We use AWS
• Have experience with or an interest in ''DevOps'' tooling
• Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
• Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
• A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
• An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
• Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.