Stockport, United Kingdom
Disney+ has, as of August 2020, 60 million active subscribers with aspirations for many more (we only launched in November 2019!). Ensuring all of our millions of users have the magical experience they come to expect from Disney, when watching their favourite shows is a challenge that we relish. This means scaling, and reliability is our primary focus in everything we build.
As a backend development team we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that are applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Cats, http4s, FS2, Spark and Cats Effect as well a wide range of cloud native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join Disney Streaming Services, working with a number of Disney's services engineering teams, supporting a variety of backend API services that directly support the Disney+ platform.
You will be part of the Growth Engineering organisation, responsible for supporting new customer signup and retention flows, billing services and payment integrations as well as the offer and subscription management service teams.
You will provide engineering leadership to engineers and managers throughout your department that look to you for advice on the technical issues facing them. Lead design reviews for complex systems within your department and participate in technology reviews throughout the company. You actively mentor individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and help managers guide the career growth of their team members.
You will contribute to and be part of an engaging, dynamic and inclusive engineering team, grounded in scrum and agile practices, CI/CD, great collaboration, functional programming and are motivated by a commitment to continuous learning and improvement
Working within one of Disney's services engineering teams, supporting a variety of backend API services that directly support the Disney+ platform.
• Collaborate in the design, build and evolution of the backend services that power the Disney+ platform
• Manage a product engineering team, ultimately responsible for the delivery of that product.
• Be frequently consulted as an expert in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture and engineering best practices
• Engineer technical software solutions primarily using Scala based microservices deployed within AWS infrastructure
• Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider community
• You are a key influencer in your department's strategy and contribute significantly to the department's planning.
• Contribute to the company's intellectual property
What we would like to see:
• Broad and deep technical knowledge and hands-on expertise with many disparate technologies and programming languages
• Scala programming experience
• Functional programming expertise
• Extensive experience with cloud providers and cloud technology, such as AWS
• Data systems experience with relational or NoSQL DBs preferably at scale
• Experience with building highly available, mission critical and high traffic systems
• Event driven systems, data streaming and analytics and challenges of distributed and globally available systems engineering
• Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
• A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
• An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
• Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
• Experience in e-commerce domain, such as payments integration, subscription management or mobile device in-app-purchase systems.
• Demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment in your work
• Think not just in terms of code, but architecture. You communicate your ideas effectively to others within your team.
• You are looked to as an expert in your given field.
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.