Director, Product Management - Content Experience
Santa Monica, CA
Hulu is a premium streaming service that offers premium originals, current season TV, an extensive library of hit series and movies, and live television. Disney+ is the Disney-branded streaming service featuring an outstanding collection of content from its brands and franchises recognized and respected all over the world including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney, and NatGeo. Our combined Hulu and Disney team is looking for hardworking team-players to join the Media Engineering team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company's direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination. The Media Engineering team successfully designs, develops, and delivers direct-to-consumer streaming services for a growing roster of media products including Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. Media Engineering works on building out the scalable distributed systems for processing, monitoring and playing back the media that is core to our products.
The Media Engineering team is seeking a Manager, Technical Program Management for the Quality, Targeting & Experience (QTE) group. The group's charter is to build software solutions that understand our media and delivery options and capabilities at a granular level in order to bring users the most optimal experience. The QTE group's work directly influences the selection, stability and quality of media experience delivered to customers for our products and champions the value of quality of experience, telemetry collection and analysis in media selection criteria.
The person in this role will help lead technical teams to build backend software solutions that enable users to influence how media is targeted for the best user experience given changing network conditions around the globe. This role provides a unique opportunity for someone to join a growing, data-driven team building critical path software that makes a difference in how users experience media on Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu.
The person in this role will play a key part in forming, tracking and updating the QTE team's roadmap, working across the team to create and communicate the group's work to stakeholders and establishing processes with engineering leaders to incorporate changes and agree on solutions.
This is a management position with an expectation for leading the project management discipline within the QTE team. The person in this role will mentor, encourage process improvement within the TPM vertical and measure success, seeking to adjust where needed to better suit the team's needs.
• Manage large teams, complex high-profile technical projects, and act as the primary owner for communication and tracking of technical workstreams, their milestones, dependencies, and risks in QTE team
• Manage TPM direct reports on the QTE team, providing guidance and support to grow their skills and career. Lead project managers to continuously iterate on project execution, system monitoring, and cost optimization best practices within our organization
• Demonstrate product and technical knowledge and facilitate the development of requirements in consideration of known technical capabilities and limitations
• Report and manage capacity of QTE team, working with Product and Enterprise teams to ensure proper projects are represented on shared roadmaps and identifying capacity concerns
• Establish departmental roadmap and project management processes, but be able to critique their impact and adjust for improvement
• Identify, analyze, prioritize, mitigate and communicate project risks to internal and external partners.
• Perform the Product Owner function, should a need exist
• Collaborate with project partners to help define scope and objectives, communicating requirements to development teams and TPMs
• Work with engineering leads to identify and plan for technical advancements and improvements to software for the long term while delivering major projects
• Build strong relationships with partnered engineering teams; providing oversight and direction for multiple concurrent projects with separate stakeholders simultaneously; cultivating relationships across engineering and technical teams while driving teams toward solutions and well-defined deliverables
• Well-established in Technical Project Management, having 7+ years experience in the software industry with hands-on experience executing Lean and Agile software development methodologies
• Proven track record of delivering reliable, scalable, service-oriented web services.
• Possess a working understanding of software design best practices and DevOps, and actively promote CI/CD release management processes
• Familiarity with web services, JVM languages, serverless compute, stream-processing, relational and non-relational databases, and distributed systems
• Have developed essential soft skills vital to the Project Manager role, including meeting leadership, communication, teamwork, collaboration, flexibility, problem solving, critical thinking, & conflict resolution
• Have developed essential skills in collaborating with multiple engineering stakeholders to create a cohesive roadmap, conscious of team capacity and timelines.
• Have worked across multiple teams in a technical domain and have exhibited success in leading engineering teams to consensus and clear decision
• Experienced in communicating with technical and product leadership about project risk and roadmap changes, proactively working with technical teams in ways to mitigate and adjust where possible
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7n138-3-239-118-166-42 in your application.
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.