At Disney Streaming Services you'll have the opportunity to create highly scalable and reliable services that power Disney+. You'll get to understand the challenges of facilitating a high-quality, flawless media streaming experience across mobile, connected devices, and web, all while using the latest technologies available from AWS and beyond. You'll be tasked with raising the bar by innovating and adopting new patterns and technologies to keep your teams on the bleeding edge of development. At Disney Streaming Services we feel strongly that teams should own their own processes, decide their own technologies, and design solutions for the long term. If you're interested in working in a highly collaborative team environment like this, please get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!
Disney Streaming Services has already achieved a number of key landmarks for our partners including launching Eurosport Player, ESPN+ and of course the highly successful Disney+ service. We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager to join us.
The Services & Data Engineering Team is hiring in NYC, San Francisco, Manchester, London and Amsterdam. As a member of the team you will have the opportunity to work on the platform that powers our streaming products.
The team is responsible for building features and ensuring services operate reliably at a high scale, while optimizing other attributes such as infrastructure and operations costs in near real-time using public cloud and open source technologies.
If you are interested in joining Disney Streaming Services in the pursuit of not only crafting new media products but enjoying the products you build, we are interested in hearing from you.
• Be responsible for the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, maintenance, and support)
• Design, build, deploy, and operate solutions capable of processing a large number of concurrent requests quickly, correctly, and reliably
• Work within a cross functional team of engineers building software in a collaborative & agile development environment
• Support the team in continuously improving the organization's tools and best practices for owning and operating software
• Hire and nurture engineers through mentorship and career advocacy. Provide goals, career path, promotion guidance, motivation to your direct reports.
• Enable data-driven prioritization and decision-making for your team through cross-organizational communication
• Execute and improve the project processes
• Encourage individual decision-making amongst your team to support growth opportunities for your directs
• Foster an open environment of mutual support and engineering effectiveness
• Ultimately responsible for the project success, including the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, maintenance, support, stakeholder management, innovation, team growth), product and architecture vision and execution against that vision and organization objectives
• Be responsible for a project delivering some of the highest scale distributed systems in the world, solving challenging and varied engineering problems
• Collaborate with product teams, engineering teams to design and build solutions
• Integrate with a variety of teams and domains, ranging from advertising, media, commerce, or user experience
• Escalate and report project status, progress, risks to your leadership
• Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation
• Work with other teams, evangelize the solution, best-practices, data driven decisions, identify new use cases and features and drive adoption
• Coach engineers best practices and technical concepts of building large scale distributed systems
• Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider organization
• You care deeply about coaching, mentoring, and growing the careers of your team
• 5 to 7 years of technical experience, including 2+ years in an engineering leadership role
• Experience or interest in Scala, functional programming
• Knowledge and experience with distributed systems, their development, operations, observability
• Experience leading modern software engineering teams, cross-functional approach to software development, devOps and automation approaches
• Proficient in designing and implementing large scale distributed systems
• Previous experience taking ownership of a project and delivering end-to-end with high quality and robust architecture.
• Ability to dive deep into any technical component as well as understand and drive the overall systems architecture.
• You're a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills.
• You care deeply about craftsmanship in your software, and can work backwards from the customer experience.
• You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience building large scale distributed systems, solving problems including scalability, reliability, observability, validation, cost efficiency, etc.
• Experience deploying and running AWS-based solutions and familiarity with tools such as DynamoDB, Elasticache, Cloud Formation, Lambda, IAM, Kinesis, S3, Firehose, etc.
• Experience with devOps, building automation and reliability in large scale systems, immutable infrastructure, containerization, including tools such as Jenkins, Docker, EC2, ECS, Cloudwatch, languages like Python, Go
• Automated testing at different levels (unit, integration, functional, performance, etc.)
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rekq28-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.