Associate Software Engineering - Multi Media Engineering
New York, NY
At Disney Streaming Services you'll have the opportunity to create highly scalable and reliable services that power Disney+. You'll get to understand the challenges of facilitating a high-quality, flawless media streaming experience across mobile, connected devices, and web, all while using the latest technologies available from AWS and beyond. You'll be tasked with raising the bar by innovating and adopting new patterns and technologies to keep your teams on the bleeding edge of development. At Disney Streaming Services we feel strongly that teams should own their own processes, decide their own technologies, and design solutions for the long term. If you're interested in working in a highly collaborative team environment like this, please get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!
Disney Streaming Services has already achieved a number of key landmarks for our partners including launching Eurosport Player, ESPN+ and of course the highly successful Disney+ service. We are looking for an experienced Manager of Data Engineering to join us.
At Disney Streaming Services data is central to measuring all aspects of the business, and critical to its operations and growth. The data engineering team is responsible for data acquisition, real-time and stream processing, analysis, and distribution of data for further use using public cloud and open source technologies and offers transparency into customer behavior and business performance.
• Manage and extend a large-scale data processing ecosystem supporting real-time and batch data that underpins all analytic and operational data flows.
• Ensure cloud-based data infrastructure can scale to meet the demand of a global streaming business.
• Build and maintain a CICD process for infrastructure components to ensure high availability while remaining nimble.
• Ensure systems run smoothly, are built defensively, and are monitored and measured to ensure 24/7 reliable operations.
• Collaborate with product teams, engineering teams, data analysts and data scientists to design and build data-forward solutions
• Influence data architecture and organizational capabilities, enable data-driven concepts throughout the organization
• Create, socialize and deliver on a short and longer term platform roadmap.
• Manage a team of 5-10 software engineers and support the team in continuously improving the organization's tools and best practices for owning and operating software in a collaborative and agile development environment
• Hire and nurture engineers through mentorship and career advocacy. Provide goals, career path, promotion guidance, motivation to your direct reports.
• Enable data-driven prioritization and decision-making for your team through cross-organizational communication
• Encourage individual decision-making amongst your team to support growth opportunities for your directs
• Foster an open environment of mutual support and engineering effectiveness
• Escalate and report project status, progress, risks to your leadership
• Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation
• Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider organization
• You care deeply about coaching, mentoring, and growing the careers of your team
• 5 to 7 years or technical experience, including 2+ years in an engineering leadership role
• Experience with data technologies like Spark, Spark Streaming, Airflow, Databricks and Snowflake
• Experience deploying and running AWS-based solutions and familiarity with tools such as Kinesis, S3, DynamoDB, Elasticache, Cloud Formation, Lambda, IAM, Kinesis, S3, Firehose, EMR etc.
• Experience or interest in Python and Scala
• Knowledge and experience with distributed systems, their development, operations, observability
• Experience leading modern software engineering teams, cross-functional approach to software development, devOps and automation approaches
• Proficient in designing and implementing large scale distributed systems
• Previous experience taking ownership of a project and delivering end-to-end with high quality and robust architecture.
• Ability to dive deep into any technical component as well as understand and drive the overall systems architecture.
• You're a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills.
• You care deeply about craftsmanship in your software, and can work backwards from the customer experience.
• You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience building data platforms, data processing, patterns and best practices, scalability, reliability, observability, validation etc.
• Knowledge of the data and streaming data ecosystems
• Experience building automation and reliability in large scale systems, immutable infrastructure, containerization, including tools such as Jenkins, Docker, EC2, ECS, Cloudwatch, languages like Python, Go
• Automated testing at different levels (unit, integration, functional, performance, etc.)
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.