Product Manager, Native Video Player
San Francisco, CA
The Advanced Messaging Engineering Team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for creating software solutions for Disney+, Star+ and ESPN+ messaging teams. We leverage machine learning to target real-time, in-app, rich notifications.
The Lead Software Engineer, Messaging Application Services will lead the creation of internally facing, high-speed streaming applications for consumer messaging. This includes in-application marketing and informational messaging, as well as messaging thru SMS, Push Notifications, and social media applications. These messages are in support of marketing campaigns, scheduled live events, content recommendation & discovery, and a variety of other time- sensitive marketing and business-related use-cases.
You will have the opportunity to lead work on interesting projects in the messaging domain, collaborating with our data engineering, data streaming, and frontend developers. We're building a modern consumer messaging platform and the aim is to build software that is distributed, reactive, and scalable. You'll be working with a modern tech stack built in AWS on the JVM. Experience with Java is required, and exposure to alternative JVM languages such as Scala and Kotlin are beneficial. Your responsibilities will include designing, developing, and maintaining complex back-end software systems which must be scalable, reliable, and efficient.
• Lead developer on web services applications
• Coach other developers on best practices & quality thru code review & instruction
• Collaborate with data engineers on best practices and technical concepts of building large-scale data platforms to allow marketing professionals to deploy best-in-class messaging campaigns
• Collaborate with Marketing Technology Product Managers to create scalable and user-friendly solutions
• 7+ years of experience building internet-scale web or services applications
• Experience in a Java and alternative JVM application development environments (Scala/Kotlin)
• Experience and/or certification with the AWS environment, including ECS (Docker), S3, EC2, Lambda, CloudWatch
• Excellent understanding of software development fundamentals
• Experience with writing unit, integration and functional tests
• Proven ability to integrate with service APIs and/or SDKs.
• Experience working in a modern, agile software team with version control & project management tools (e.g. Github, SVN, Jira, Basecamp)
• Experience mentoring other developers
• Experience with Consumer Messaging technology stacks
• Building resilient applications that handle failure gracefully
• Experience with analytics tools and marketing attribution models
• Experience with Big Data / Data Engineering tools, e.g. Apache Spark, Snowflake, Jupiter notebooks
• Apache Flink experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field), or equivalent work experience
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.