Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY
Disney Streaming Services (DSS) is looking for a passionate Senior Engineering Manager to lead the Billing Services Backend team.
Disney+ has grown to 60+ million subscribers in just 12 months since its launch in Nov 2019 and is planned to go live in more countries later this year and continue the international expansion for the next few years. The Billing Services team is responsible for tier1 services in the signup flow for Disney+ / ESPN+ and recurring billing of millions of customers, thus having a direct impact on the company's subscription numbers and revenue. The team is responsible for creating and managing these critical services leveraging a multi-region, highly scalable architecture on AWS.
This team is based out of our New York office and you will be a key Engineering leader helping drive the growth of the team and enhancing/managing our billing platform. You will have an opportunity to learn about the domestic and international landscape along with its challenges in the area of billing and payments as we spread Disney magic around the world.
As an Engineering Leader for the Billing Services team, you will
• Drive the technical vision and evolution of the services owned by the team.
• Lead architectural and design discussions to help the team build highly scalable and critical services in a microservices architecture.
• Work with Product Managers, Product Designers, QA, Support and other cross-functional teams to drive the vision and roadmap for the team.
• Lead and grow the team by hiring and retaining top engineering talent.
• Participate in Agile methodology and SCRUM processes such as Sprint Planning, Backlog grooming, Daily Standups and Retrospectives with the team.
• 5+ years of people management experience.
• Demonstrated success working as a Senior Engineer/Architect of complex distributed tier 1 backend services in the critical path, prior to transitioning into a manager role.
• Experience working with cloud based deployments.
• Experience hiring top engineering talent and making tough decisions.
• Strong partner and communicator with ability to articulate the team vision and technical concepts to cross-functional stakeholders.
• Ability to take decisions in ambiguous situations and a fast paced environment with constantly changing business needs.
• Excellent motivator driving influence and high throughput from the team.
• Passionate about engineering best practices and leading by example.
• Prior experience in Billing and Payments domain.
Nice to haves
• Experience working with Amazon Web Services.
• Prior experience implementing services in a JVM based language (Java/Scala/Kotlin).
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.