VP, Original Series
Los Angeles, CA
At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands.
We’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
As VP, Original Series, DTC you will be a critical part of the team responsible for original programming for Discovery’s upcoming direct-to-consumer product, reporting to the SVP, Original Series, DTC. The right person for this role has a background at a streaming platform and is nimble, adaptable, proactive, and has a well-developed sense of taste in Lifestyle programming (Food & Home, True Crime & Mystery, Dating & Relationships, Fashion & Style, Paranormal, etc).
1. Helping develop and execute overall strategy and vision of original series for DTC with a focus on Lifestyle content, and drive evolution of these through data-informed decisions
2. Overseeing the development and production of DTC original Lifestyle series, collaborating with the creative teams from the network groups to:
a. Source pitches, talent, and self-generated ideation of commissions
b. Supervise outside production companies on production of series to ensure high quality, timely and on-budget creative execution
3. Partnering with network teams on their development slates to identify potential projects for DTC and implement processes for smooth collaboration and content evaluation across these teams
4. Owning and fostering relationships with agencies, third party studios, producers, showrunners and other talent in the unscripted space
5. Partnering with critical internal teams including business affairs & legal, finance, production management, marketing / PR, ad sales, content operations, programming / merchandising, etc throughout all stages of the process to ensure smooth and high-quality execution, and to maximize the content’s value to DTC
6. Working with content operations for on-site show assets, merchandising for on-channel marketing, data science / product / tech on content discovery optimizations; interpret user behavioral data to make data-informed content decisions
* Must have a minimum of 2 years work experience at a streaming platform.
* Bachelor’s degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
* Minimum of 4 years production & development experience in unscripted / alternative / general entertainment, with a strong preference for expertise in Lifestyle genres (as described above)
* Proven record of demonstrated creativity with an ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality TV programs.
* An independent thinker and idea-generator who is also a team player.
* Ability to build credibility and strong working relationships with other internal executives and generate commitment to goals.
* Outstanding editorial judgment and creative abilities, strong verbal and written communications skills
* Comfortable in ambiguity and effective operating in a matrixed organization.
* Ability to thrive in an evolving and fast-paced environment, prioritizing and handling multiple projects concurrently
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.