As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain, and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring technical program managers to join our team. We focus on management and processing of Discovery's global content catalog including inventory creation, inbound media registration, content augmentation (captioning, languaging, etc.), imagery, quality control, fulfillment for linear, VOD, Direct to Consumer, and other destinations, metadata enrichment, and other critical aspects. The ideal candidate has a track record of enabling teams to focus on the right priorities with the right technologies, being a force multiplier for the engineering team, and helping them to successfully ship reliable, scalable systems into production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You show good judgement in making trade-offs between the needs of multiple stakeholders and between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you better and more productive by sharing your knowledge and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
• Partner with engineering, product, and program management to manage active and future programs, projects, and/or initiatives. In addition, most content team activities incorporate cross-team initiatives that span multiple teams throughout the world. You bring clarity to the efforts of all content teams which includes the ability to understand and quantify the efforts currently in motion including their status and priority along with a clear structure of 'what's next?'. You understand that priorities, deadlines, team progress, and other aspects continually change and you work within these variabilities to provide a source of truth for all teams to reference and trust.
• Partner with product management and engineering to translate product requirements into functional designs and help to break the work into milestones, epics, and user stories. You bring the architectural and design pattern insights of an engineer to this task, combined with a project manager's understanding of team dynamics, dependencies, and scheduling constraints.
• Always be shipping: you will drive all processes around delivering content and software on time and on budget. You will participate in daily scrums and meta-scrums, manage and prioritize sprint backlogs, proactively anticipate bottlenecks or resource contention, unblock development, triage issues, modify or rescope stories to reduce risk, and accept stories when they are done.
• Regularly engage stakeholders and external teams to communicate the status of various in-flight development, and anticipate the result of schedule changes to other teams
• Understand the impact of your team's work on other services and systems within the overall platform.
• Technical program management experience in a software product development environment, including direct experience in operational cloud computing applications, or in a related engineering role.
• Technical fluency with basic development of microservice-based applications and multi-tenant cloud-based platform services.
• Experience as an engineer is preferred, but not required
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of video encoding and video delivery highly preferred
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5zwv3-3-87-33-97-42 in your application.