Discovery is looking for a technical program manager to join our global platform group. We are looking for that rare candidate with deep technical background, exemplary written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to thrive with little process, direction, or oversight. This is a role inside a fast-paced start-up environment where we are also building process and structure befitting a major corporate entity. This position will appeal to a person who is excited by ambiguity and new product development while yearning to help shape project management practices to reduce this ambiguity over time.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within Discovery Inc. With Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more brands to support, we build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications for smart TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles.
To support these experiences, we are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. The services are modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, covering everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions. The device platform spans consoles, smart TVs, web, mobile phones, and tablets. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are looking for talented technical program managers to join our team in London. The ideal candidate communicates clearly, analyzes technical designs, organizes project timelines, secures commitments, manages risks, identifies the critical path, spots edge cases, triages bugs, reviews metrics & data, and monitors launch operations for large software projects. The ideal candidate can switch effortlessly between these modes adapting themselves to the needs of their workstreams. They are a strong self-starter and therefore have the ability to drill into business data and research results to identify clear direction and focus for their projects and programs. They continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge. Their interest in computer science has not faded as they moved into a program management role and they are still comfortable with technical details and are comfortable giving regular design feedback to engineers on their projects.
• You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to understand organizational and corporate goals and ensured that your projects delivered what was required to hit these goals. You have shipped multiple high impact projects and use data to assess their impact.
• You have experience with all phases of project delivery from concept to production, including defining features and deliverables, securing team commitments, establishing a project charter, handling all communication and reporting, overseeing development & deployment, and performing retrospective assessment using data and key performance indicators.
• You have demonstrated your written communication skills can be applied to business and technical documentation, when needed for your project, and have written multiple documents in multiple formats in your past experience. Your documents are used as examples of good work for your peers to aspire to.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one project or program area showing that your judgment is fungible, and you may be to handle more than one project simultaneously and successfully.
• Technical background in software engineering or related field, ideally with professional experience as a software engineer.
• Additional technical literacy including knowledge of, and professional experience with, most AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch.
• Data literacy including one or more of: SQL, R tool usage, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, AWS Redshift, and AWS Timestream. You are confident with data retrieval and its application to guiding project decision-making.
• Subject matter expertise in one or more of: payment processor integrations, information security, GDPR controls, content management systems, or personalization & recommendations engines.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d227jy-3-236-222-124-42 in your application.