Technical Program Manager
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
Multiple teams with different levels of technology, experience, and maturity levels are being brought together in a race to capture the world's OTT markets. While we bring better features to market, faster and help branch out to more countries, we need to ensure that the customer viewing experience is top of mind. To that end we're building a team that can help ensure that the Video Quality of Experience is the top priority for the growth of the platform. The responsibility of this team will include:
1. Capturing Video QOE data
2. Ensuring accuracy of that data
3. Ensuring that the data standards and vocabulary are the same across all of Discovery
4. Correlate and analyse the data
5. Dig into data issues with engineering and ops teams to optimize QOE
We are recruiting for TPM roles for this team.
• Our QOE TPM's will work with Video SRE's and Analysts to deep dive into QOE Metrics and Incidents.
• They will work with the other data owners to join and dig into external metrics, processes and services to understand what is impacting QOE.
• Once an improvement is found, they will help coordinate and drive the QOE implementations through the Engineering and Operations Orgs.
• For long term strategic improvements, they will define and refine current practices in place to measure and report QOE correctly.
• They will create plans for action and report status across and up into the DTC org.
• Run weekly meetings for gathering QOE status.
• Start new mini projects / spikes for new issues (Jira)
• Track and report on long term initiatives.
• Focus on what we need to get done with each meeting. (good meeting management skills)
• Creating clear status reports & documentation.
• Track our requests for product enhancements and features for third party vendors
• At least 5 years technical program management experience in a software product development environment including direct experience in operational cloud computing applications.
• Technical fluency with multi-tenant cloud-based platform services.
• At least 4 years software experience at an engineering level highly preferred.
• Proven experience as a technical leader. Demonstrated ability to lead the development of complex applications.
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of Data Analysis tools: Kibana, Mux, PowerBI, Grafana, Splunk, New Relic, etc.
• Tenacious and assertive with tasks and task management
• Works with purpose and intent
• Excellent at relationship building
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6zpn9-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.