Software Development Engineer
Along with the rest of the Media world, Discovery is undergoing a transformation to build unique experiences around the world-class non-scripted video content in the form of many Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) products on dozens of different platforms.
As a key member of Global Technology and Operations team you will be asked to support and lead cloud team initiatives to globally support delivery of a robust platform that serves as the foundation for building products such as Discovery + (18 US brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Eurosport, MotorTrend, GolfTV, DPlay and many others). We are looking for a product owner to lead the core cloud platform team for this global initiative. This person will be a key contributor in supporting the strategic direction of the Discovery Global cloud initiatives and platforms that serve as foundational pieces for Direct To Consumer as well as our Broadcast sector. A successful candidate will lead with an intention to support these initiatives by working in a highly collaborative and transparent environment.
You will help drive the roadmap for the Global Cloud platform that includes features such as cloud automation, migration to cloud, cloud maturity, cloud governance and launching new platforms on new cloud services. You will work very closely with various product owners across Discovery that depend upon the cloud platform for building their cutting-edge consumer facing products. You will work closely with our vendor partners to help drive Discovery’s vision and work with the vendors to help us meet our goals. You will also analyze data to measure and enhance our products and identify new feature ideas.
You possess a unique blend of business and technical understanding; a big-picture vision as well as the drive and attention to detail that transforms vision into a reality. You must enjoy spending time with global clients, colleagues (internal and external) and other market representatives to understand their needs, and to work with technical teams to define innovative solutions.
You will work to interface with our Global Operations Center to ensure work is appropriately transferred to that team.
You must be willing to work in a “one team” mindset. This is a large company with a significant global footprint, and we will often work as a single team with many other groups, often stepping out of our own team’s boundaries.
1. Collaborate with multiple product groups across Discovery worldwide to create and evangelize a Global Technology Operations one team mindset.
2. Understand different product requirements, map them to the global platform features and drive product prioritization discussions
3. Deliver detailed product definition of cloud
4. Engage with external customers through a variety of channels and serve as the voice of the customer internally
5. Work directly with cloud and development engineering teams to execute and deliver on your product roadmap
6. Provide effective written and verbal updates on the product roadmap and key projects to senior leadership and stakeholders
7. Support the engineering team to best track their work, lead stand up discussions, track engineering work and help remove roadblocks.
* Bachelor’s degree or higher (ideally in a technical field such as computer science or engineering) or equivalent experience
* 5+ years of large-scale production experience in a leadership capacity
* Proven track-record of taking ownership and driving results
* A strong technical background with software engineering or technical management experience (e.g. experience as a technical program manager, lead project manager, or similar)
* Experience working in an agile environment
* Great communication skills and ability to work effectively on projects with developers and software dev managers
* Experience coordinating complex product development cycles and software development schedules
* Ability to work autonomously in a highly matrixed and often ambiguous environment, with attention to detail and organizational skills
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Experience with developing systems in an enterprise environment
* 4+ years of experience working on a software development team
* 3+ years of experience managing a complex suite of products across various customer bases simultaneously
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.