Software Development Engineer
Sr. Director, Product Management (Compliance)
About Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences.
We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers. Most recently, our group is behind the launch of discovery+, Discovery's global streaming service, serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment with the largest ever content offering at launch, which debuted in the US on January 4, 2021.
About the Role
We are hiring a Senior Director, Product Management, Compliance to lead the development and management of compliance-related features with the best customer experience and Discovery's values in mind.
The Senior Director, Compliance will lead a mission to ensure discovery+ meets all legal and compliance requirements to safely and effectively operate in all available markets worldwide. They will lead effective product development processes that start with the customers and work back from there. They will develop innovative product features, implement scalable solutions, and ensure an end-to-end world class experience. They will collaborate with engineering leaders to prioritize, build, and enhance compliance-related features, such as data privacy, accessibility, digital rights management, and more. They will establish operating processes to drive systematic improvements to the product based on feedback, data, and evolving regulatory and compliance needs.
An ideal candidate will be a driven, passionate advocate to deliver the best product experience for customers, and innovative solutions for the business. This person will make data-driven decisions, have an insatiable curiosity, build for scale, and obsess about the customer. They will relentlessly investigate defects and poor customer experiences to identify the root causes and determine how to improve the experience. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• Partner with senior product, engineering, data, business, privacy, and legal leaders to determine the strategic goals, plans, and operating practices needed to meet legal and compliance requirements.
• Lead the product planning, development, and roadmap for legal and regulatory compliance driven product feature areas.
• Collaborate closely with legal, privacy, and regional business leaders to establish a deep understanding of various regional and country specific requirements. Translate those into easy to use customer experiences that minimize customer friction.
• Strive to constantly improve and automate compliance and business processes related to features within the product. For example, data collection, data privacy, and customer requests to access and delete their data.
• Hire, manage, and develop product managers, helping them enhance their skills and grow their careers.
• Build an innovative and disciplined team culture that builds trust, encourages collaborations, maintains strong accountability, delivers results, increases employee engagement, and has fun.
• Minimum of 7+ years of proven experience in product management in technology, media, or relevant industries.
• Minimum of 2+ years managing PM teams to deliver compelling customer products, with responsibilities that included day-to-day management, professional development, hiring and retention, and coaching and mentoring.
• Solid understanding of data collection, tracking and data analysis. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Experience translating compliance requirements into high quality customer experiences.
• Familiarity with GDPR, CCPA, COPA, Age restrictions is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge and experience with Accessibility and Closed Captioning.
• Experience developing solutions for digital rights management (DRM).
• Demonstrated ability to work with leaders and peers to evaluate new ideas, discuss business and product concepts, creating compelling product designs, implement new features and systems, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Can communicate the results of your work clearly to your audience.
• Experience with video and streaming subscription products is a plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy708k-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.