For over 30 years, Eurosport has established itself as a household name for sports. Now, Discovery is investing heavily in Eurosport and has recently launched the Discovery+ product to include Sport content - connecting fans to the sports they love.
Discovery and Eurosport produce authentic, premium, and innovative content on linear and digital platforms under a variety of business models. We combine expertise, passion, and exclusive sports rights to offer high-value programmes and unrivalled coverage to viewers and customers in 99 countries and in 21 languages. Having established ourselves as the exclusive Home of the Olympic Games in Europe through 2024, there's no better time than now to join us on this incredible adventure!
Core to Discovery's strategy for engaging sports audiences is creating intuitive, innovative, and delightful digital products. This role is instrumental to delivering against our digital strategy.
As the Sports Programme Manager you will ensure the successful delivery of technical programmes for Discovery's major sporting events, across Eurosport and discovery+ platforms. You will align Technical, Product, Operations and Business digital teams and their multitude of complex dependencies to deliver the best outcomes to customers.
For this role you must have a passion for sport and for digital technology. You deliver against immovable deadlines - an unavoidable but riveting facet of sporting events. You know how best to plan and deliver digital capabilities in a rapidly evolving market. You get a thrill from seeing our customers use our products to enjoy the sports they love.
You must be an organisational genius able to navigate an international business structure, facilitate multiple stakeholder groups, build robust project plans and deliver at pace. You must be action-orientated and take the lead in group settings when the focus is upon delivery.
You must have strong experience working within a team of product gurus and engineers. You're able to drive teams towards the end objective, ensuring progress is made if decision-making is being delayed.
You are customer-obsessed. In your remit as Sports Programme Manager you make business decisions that always take the customer into account.
If you meet these criteria then we would love for you to join our team.
• Technical programme management of Discovery's major sporting events, by coordinating Delivery, Product, Technology, Operations, Editorial and Business teams to bring successful outcomes to our customers.
• Partner with these teams to understand their strategic priorities and their technical and operational deliverables.
• Own robust programme plans that align these teams, their deliverables and the multitude of inter-dependencies.
• Relentlessly manage the actions, owners and due dates for cross-team technical deliverables and operational tasks (e.g. in the weeks leading up to a sporting event tracking actions for E2E testing, metadata pipeline health and frontend launches).
• Identify and manage technical risks and issues that impact the successful execution of these sporting events, and lead a path to resolution when ownership is unclear (e.g. when an issue could be solved by one or another team).
• Manage senior executive stakeholders with weekly/bi-weekly steering committees and present the project status with clear written and verbal communication. Know the balance between using highlight versus detailed reporting, depending on the audience's appetite for that information.
• Hands-on use and troubleshooting of operational tools (e.g. Discovery's editorial CMS), to solve business problems that span multiple systems (e.g. video and metadata pipelines) and to provide leadership to business teams (e.g. editorial).
• Own cross-team retrospectives after sporting events.
• Define RACI when business roles need clarifying.
• A love for live sports and streaming platforms.
• A laser-focus on solving business problems and helping our customers, not just on preparing reports and overseeing meetings.
• Several years working in the digital space for a technology or media company.
• Several years working closely with internal or external clients, partners and developers.
• Self-starting, enthusiastic and a ''go-getter.'' Thrive on building and cultivating relationships with others.
• Objective and action-orientated, both personally and organisationally.
• Able to translate technical terms or problems into natural language understood by non-technical parties.
• Never hesitant to roll-up your sleeves and dive-in to help troubleshoot technical issues.
• Able to evaluate options and choose the best courses of action based on the resources and constraints at hand.
• Familiarity with Agile and release processes a must.
• Working history on direct-to-consumer products a plus.
• Familiarity with video delivery, payments, content management systems, database technologies, and client-server application architecture a plus.
• Must have legal right to work in the United Kingdom.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm1e12-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.