Software Engineer (Backend)
Discovery is a global leader in the media sector, serving passionate fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year across deeply loved content genres.
The world is changing all around us. To continue to grow as a business over the next years we must look ahead, understand the changing trends and be prepared for that what's to come. We must get ready for tomorrow today. Join us to be part of the adventure. Discovery inspires people to be the best they can.
Currently in Poland we are looking for passionate people with various backgrounds to join our team in the fields of FP&A Centre of Excellence, Global Business Services, HR Services and Media Business.
Discovery's Engineering teams in Stockholm, London, New York, and Seattle have shipped the core services of Discovery's growing streaming video platform.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalog, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks around the world - Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Dplay, Discovery+, and many more. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring Software Development Engineers to join our engineering team in Poland. The team will be part of our Global Payments group with a strong focus on financial integrations. This includes areas like ERP system integration, revenue recognition, financial auditing, and reconciliation.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having been involved in building high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You help influence your team's strategy and contribute to team planning. You show good judgment making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs.
• You are able to work both autonomously and together with more senior team members to design and develop functional changes to existing software systems. You actively seek input and guidance where appropriate and engage your team to inform and share what you are doing.
• You can collaborate with other engineers assisting on larger features another engineer designed. You put thought into how your software contributions will work in production, and you strive to have your team trust your decisions, designs, and code.
• You are able to describe and defend your design and code decisions to other engineers, embrace constructive feedback, and adapt your approach to align with team and company standards and objectives.
• You can demonstrate good software ownership practices (e.g. code reviews, code comments, etc) in all of your contributions. You prepare documentation proactively, and you ensure proper monitoring for operational excellence in production.
• You can take part in troubleshooting a production issue by reviewing source code, logs, operational metrics, stack trace, etc to pinpoint a specific problem and then resolve it.
• Proficient in Java and a few other languages.
• Persistence and caching solutions such as PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Caffeine.
• Micro-service-based architectures using gRPC and Kafka for interservice communication.
• The asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming and experience implementing with frameworks such as Spring WebFlux, Node.js, vert.x
• Usage understanding of Docker, Kubernetes and AWS.
• Experience in building, operating, and truly owning services. Implementing alerting, metrics, and logging using Prometheus, CloudWatch, Kibana, PagerDuty.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1okwm-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.