Discovery is the largest provider of non-fiction network programming in the USA with channels like Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Oprah Winfrey Network, Cooking Channel, Food Network, Travel Channel, and many more (total of 18 Discovery GO brands).
Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose deep technical chops and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for good architecture and user experience. Here in Discovery's Content Systems team, we build software and solutions that power Discovery's global Content Supply Chain. We live at the intersection of technology and content. We work with our business partners, innovating, automating, and iterating, driving down supply chain costs and speeding time to market. We come together as a team to build many customer-driven views into a single global inventory of content and metadata that's visible and available for all of Discovery. Our cloud-based applications capture, curate, and distribute hundreds of thousands of hours of video each year. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are hiring Senior Software Development Managers (SDMs) to join our team. The ideal candidate has a track record of building a team identity and defining how that team works within a larger organization. They have mastered the ability to spread large and small assignments throughout their team, setting the team up to succeed without constant oversight. The SDM is a technical leader that people turn to when they want to build something new. The SDM understands how to drive creativity and innovation from their team while working within the structure of the larger organization.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, where, when, and when not, to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems, offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in technology has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that software development is, and always remains, under control and on track.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing, not just telling, developers. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader - by showing empathy for the problems they're facing, your commitment to help them succeed in their career and leaning on your deep experience to help them overcome challenges.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as shown by the performance of developers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best developers.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one development team or functional area showing that your judgment is broad-based and logical, not technology or product-specific.
• 7+ years in a leadership role- leading and managing software development team. Providing direction, setting goals, recruiting & mentoring both ICs and junior leaders.
• Programming & domain experience on microservices, Angular and container-based application design.
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation, and performance tuning.
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmx97x-3-236-84-188-42 in your application.