Software Development Engineer - Front End
New York, NY
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build products for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
The Partner Integration Program is sponsored by the DTC Global Platform organization that unifies Technology, Commercial and Brands/Products into a one team for the purpose of performing technical integrations to provide Discovery services to customers of our partners throughout the world. This is a great opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and resiliency problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment.
We are hiring Senior Software Development Managers to join our team. The ideal candidate has a track record of creating the identity for a team and defining how that team works within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your team, and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a technical leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes and create new ones where needed.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them
• You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details
• You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that software development is and remains under control and on track
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing developers, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is shown by the performance of developers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best developers
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one development team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible
• 7+ years in a leadership role, leading and managing a software development team. Providing direction, setting goals, recruiting & mentoring both ICs and junior leaders
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Programming & domain experience on microservices, API development, event-driven architecture
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation, and performance tuning
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Extensive experience with Go programming language
• Experience with SAML, OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect (OIDC)
• Experience with building backend services on public cloud platforms, such as Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure and preferably AWS
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw75k2-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.