Software Development Manager
New York, NY
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring a software engineering leader to join our Magnolia brand team. This team provides end-to-end services to ingest, normalize and deliver content and descriptive metadata to all our Magnolia applications (web, mobile, tablets, TVs, game consoles). This team plays a crucial role in ensuring our customers get a great user experience!
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing people, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work.
• You have demonstrated that you can manage multiple teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact. You are able to work effectively with other managers to get work done cross teams.
• You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking.
• You have participated in strategic planning and demostrated good judgment in setting and delivering against strategic goals for your team. You are able to drive outcomes using key performance indicator goals within your team rather than dictating specific deliverables.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidenced by the performance of engineers and architects on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and architects. Your team is capable and autonomous without your continuous oversight and decision making as a result of your coaching of your own managers.
• You create a culture of innovation, encouraging your team members to find new and better ways to achieve their goals. You foster an appropriate culture of tolerance for taking innovative risk.
• 5-7 years of experience managing to deliver rich user experiences for the Web using React and API-driven backend services. Experience with data ingestions, video is a big plus, as is other areas of frontend backend development for online content delivery.
• Ability to quickly understand and guide development of distributed, asynchronous services involving many components and a complex architecture and design; experience with popular tech stacks and design patterns used in such systems.
• Experience hiring and mentoring engineers and architects.
• Experience and good understanding of container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
• Knowledge of, and professional experience with most AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch and other content delivery networks.
• Comfortable with design and code-level details - be a great sounding board and mentor for team members at all levels. Ability to dive deep on technical issues and take a hands-on approach to helping the team solve technical issues.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyxz1q-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.