Software Development Engineer
Discovery Content Systems Team
We build cloud-scale software for supplying everything it takes to send Discovery's shows around the world. From concept to creation to broadcast, around the globe, we are defining the future of video consumption. We build and integrate tools and platforms that drive the content supply chain for Discovery's brands.
Our software tracks content as it moves from being an idea to becoming a finished show on brands like HGTV, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network and all the other Discovery brands.
Our applications reach thousands of monthly active users inside Discovery's business units and production companies and distributors around the world.
We're a distributed software development organization specializing in cloud-based solutions for media supply chains and content lifecycle management. We have offices just outside of Washington, DC, and in Knoxville, TN. We have developers across the United States, in Montreal, and India. Our development teams are DevOps groups working directly with our product and testing teams.
We use Zoom, Slack, and Jira to communicate with each other. We normally mix three days of remote work with two days in the office, but right now we're 100% remote. We would like to find someone based in either Knoxville or the DC Metro area (our two biggest staff bases), but we are open to this position remaining 100% remote even after we return to our offices sometime in 2021. If you are the right person, we don't care where you live.
What You'll Do For Our Team
We need an Engineering manager with technical knowledge and management skills. You don't have to be an expert on everything, but you need to know how to lead software engineers to do their best work. We need you to:
Provide Technical Leadership
• Provide technical thought leadership and guidance to multiple development teams
• Work closely with other technical leads and technical teams to set up and stick to best practices for development and deployment
• Build an understanding of Discovery's business, key stakeholders, product visions, and roadmaps
• Partner with Product Owners and QA Leads to establish a technical product vision that enables and supports product feature roadmap and efficient product development approaches. Keep the developers aligned with the team's big goals and highest priorities.
• Understand product design
Manage the Software Engineering Staff
• Directly manage and lead full time development resources
• Manage the hiring process and engagements for contract developers
• Oversee developer performance management, identify improvement and growth plans, and work to help provide proper training when necessary
• Help developers build and expand their skills and knowledge
• Help define enterprise technical standards
• Provide coaching and consistent performance review and feedback.
• Recommend assignment of development resources across teams
• Delegate technical responsibilities and report on progress to both the Product teams and group management
• Review code, deployment documentation, and other technical documents produced during development efforts to ensure quality and compliance with enterprise standards
• Responsible for overall quality of the code delivered by the development teams.
Build a Culture of Communication and Ownership
• Take accountability for progressing the technical vision of the product(s)
• Spot-check development work to ensure quality control of code and processes
• Identify, implement, and measure technical process improvements
• Share ideas across development teams – build opportunities to bring developers together and get them talking
• 10+ years of experience as a software engineer, architect, and/or developer
• 5+ years of experience directly leading development teams, ideally multiple product development teams simultaneously
• 3+ years of experience as a technical manager
• Bachelor's in CS or similar
• Strong familiarity with various SDLC methodologies, particularly Agile Scrum and KanBan
• Experience with continuous integration, continuous delivery, test driven development and pair programming
• Hands-on experience with multiple modern software development languages
• Experience with managing live software product development teams in an enterprise-scale cloud environment
• Familiarity and experience defining and implementing strong development team structures
• Proven track record establishing and measuring success of software development best practices across development teams
• Proven track record of managing the technical implementation of challenging, complex technical projects
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Master's Degree (CS or similar)
• 5+ years as technical manager or engineering manager
• Experience in television industry, media supply chains, and/or content management systems
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.