About Discovery's Direct-to-Consumer Technology Organization
Within Discovery there is a global organization working at the crossroads of technology and entertainment, building a platform to power experiences that enable Discovery's content creators to tell better, more engaging stories to millions of viewers across the world. Our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite peoples' curiosity to explore and understand the world.
Discovery's direct-to-consumer technology group operates like a well-funded start-up. We are fast, nimble and have fun developing an innovative global platform for iconic brands, including Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Eurosport, Food Network, HGTV, Motor Trend and Animal Planet.
About the Opportunity
We are hiring a Software Development Manager to join our team. You will be responsible for managing and inspiring a team of talented web/mobile/connected TV engineers, working closely with our product, design and engineering teams that are located in offices throughout the world. Your team will develop and operate the web/mobile/connected TV apps for our Magnolia product, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Magnolia Network.
We are looking for someone who takes a hands-on approach to deliver the best product experience for customers. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your team, and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a technical leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes and create new ones where needed.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them
• You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details
• You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that software development is and remains under control and on track
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing developers, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is shown by the performance of developers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best developers
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one development team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible
• 7+ years in a leadership role- leading and managing software development team. Providing direction, setting goals, recruiting & mentoring both ICs and junior leaders
• Programming & domain experience on Web or Mobile technologies (Web 2.0, JS, Android and/or iOS). OTT experience is a plus
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation, and performance tuning
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq89q9-18-204-227-34-42 in your application.