Discovery is the world's leading non-fiction media company with a reach of three billion viewers in 220 countries.
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) group is an Engineering company within the Discovery brand. DTC's engineering teams build applications for Web, Mobile, Connected TVs, and Consoles/STBs covering features like Search, Playback, ML-driven Recommendation, Subscriptions, Payments, etc. We are building a Global Video Streaming Platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's brands (Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Golf TV, Food Network, Eurosport, and many more) including the recently launched Discovery+. These applications are powered by a fleet of cloud-native microservices for Content Ingestion, Metadata processing, Video encoding & Ad Tech platform on AWS containers & serverless-compute.
Meet Our Team
We are the Product Engineering group for the Direct-2-Consumer business, and responsible for building video streaming Mobile & OTT applications for TVE/GO brands (18 channels in total!). Our front-end teams build user experience for search, catalog, video streaming, personalization, subscriptions, payments, and really much more.
We are hiring a Software Development Manager to lead our front-end teams in India. The ideal candidate has a track record of creating the identity for engineering teams and defining how those teams work within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your ICs and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a technical leader that executives turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes and create new ones where needed.
Roles & Responsibilities
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know- how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that software development is and remains under control and on track at all times.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top-notch. You can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing developers, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high-quality examples of your own work.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of developers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best developers.
You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one development team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible.
What to Bring
• 7+ years leading and managing a software development team (providing coaching, mentoring, setting goals, and recruiting talent)
• Programming & domain experience on Web 2.0, Android, and/or iOS mobile applications. OTT experience is a plus.
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation, and performance tuning.
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis.
What we Offer
• A Great Place to work
• Equal opportunity employer
• Fast track growth opportunities
Discovery is governed by our eight guiding principles:
We Are... One Team, Creative Dreamers, Doers. Consumer Obsessed. Global, Quick & Agile, Purposeful and We Do the Right Thing
Discovery's Guiding Principles define the distinctive character, spirit, and attitude of our organization. They inspire how we design our future and recruit talent.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4xnnz-3-239-118-166-42 in your application.