Software Development Manager
London, United Kingdom
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
We are excited to be recruiting the new opportunity of a Software Development Manager II (Android) to join Dplay, a leading video on demand product in Europe and with plans for rapid international expansion.
• Lean advocates with a specific focus on BDD and Kanban
• Full Automation test suites favoured over manual QA – we like software engineers in test
• Best in class development
• We like things to be fast and re-usable
• We have a build vs buy mentality; everything is proprietary from front to back!
• Constantly exploring new technology
• Dedicated and hardworking, with an eye on a positive work/life balance
• We work in cross platform, mission-based squads – with knowledge sharing being a key aspect
• Totally collaborative, but not big fans of meetings
As a Software Development Manager II, you will work in collaboration with Delivery Managers, Product Team, and help prioritise new features, bug fixes and technical debt. This is a great opportunity to drive key initiatives, build a high-performance culture, enabling a team of 7-10 geographically dispersed Engineers to deliver critical projects and new app architecture. This is a partially hands-on role, and ideally, you should be able to dedicate 50% of your time to work in and around the code.This role reports to the Dplay Development Manager.
The successful candidate will have a motivating individual, excellent leadership skills, band a strong ability to drive excellence in both current team members and future hires well as future hires. Building strong teams is a vitally important aspect of the role, so you'll be heavily involved in recruitment, onboarding and personal development of Engineers.
• Excellent communication skills, understanding of developers’ needs and priorities.
Technical awareness, prior development experience of shipping Android applications (Kotlin).
• Experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers
• Experience in balancing speed vs. quality in software engineering teams.
• You love to build scalable and resilient products.
• Responsible for the team’s performance against agreed objectives goals.
• Manage, plan and organise team resources to satisfy output requirements for projects, change requests and support.
• Recommend technical developments and software to enhance/improve our app.
• Desire to be involved in cross-platform projects on a large scale in 10+ countries.
• Working with multiple stakeholders (internal and external) with different goals, objectives and aspirations
• Knowledge of key design and architectural patterns such as MVVM, MVP and SOLID principles
• Experience with RxJava/RxAndroid and Android Jetpack (LiveData, Lifecycles, Room)
Experience and knowledge of TDD and associated frameworks (Junit, Espresso,
• Experience building dynamic customer-facing apps that use RESTful APIs to operate
• Experience building modular apps, or migrating a monolithic app to a modular architecture
• Knowledge of development best practices, including coding guidelines
• Experience with apps interacting with an AWS backend and knowledge of AWS SDKs
• Knowledge of or previous experience with VOD is a plus, including experience working with video playback on Android apps
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.