Principal Product Manager
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our global video delivery platform team – a foundational pillar of the direct to consumer group. Video is core to Discovery's business and this team strives to provide the best possible video stream to every customer on every device and network. The team provides mission-critical functionality to all Discovery applications that includes content search and metadata services, video transcoding and DRM services and video playback services among others.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
We are hiring Senior Software Engineers to join the Personalization, Recommendation and Search team. As part of a rapidly growing team, you will own complex systems that will provide a personalized and unique experience for millions of users across over 200 countries for all the Discovery brands. You will be responsible for building scalable and distributed data pipelines and will contribute to the design of our data platform and infrastructure. You will handle big data, both structured and unstructured, at the scale of millions of users.
You will lead by example and define the best practices, will set high standards for the entire team and for the rest of the organization. You have a successful track record for ambitious projects across cross-functional teams. You are passionate and results-oriented. You strive for technical excellence and are very hands-on. Your co-workers love working with you. You have built respect in your career through concrete accomplishments.
• 5+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, testing, maintaining, monitoring and owning scalable, resilient and distributed data pipelines.
• High Proficiency in at least two of Scala, Python, Spark or Flink applied to large scale data sets.
• Strong understanding of workflow management platforms (Airflow or similar).
• Familiarity with advanced SQL.
• Expertise with big data technologies (Spark, Flink, Data Lake, Presto, Hive, Apache Beam, NoSQL, ...).
• Knowledge of batch and streaming data processing techniques.
• Obsession for service observability, instrumentation, monitoring and alerting.
• Understanding of the Data Lifecycle Management process to collect, access, use, store, transfer, delete data.
• Strong knowledge of AWS or similar cloud platforms.
• Expertise with CI/CD tools (CircleCI, Jenkins or similar) to automate building, testing and deployment of data pipelines and to manage the infrastructure (Pulumi, Terraform or CloudFormation).
• Understanding of relational databases (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL), NoSQL databases (e.g., key-value stores like Redis, DynamoDB, RocksDB), and Search Engines (e.g., Elasticsearch). Ability to decide, based on the use case, when to use one over the other.
• Familiarity with recommendation and search to personalize the experience for millions of users across million items.
• Masters in Computer Science or related discipline.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.