Software Development Engineer
New York, NY
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Who We Are
The Direct to Consumer Group (DTC) is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global streaming video platform to globally support a broad collection of Discovery's diverse brands including Discovery, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more.
DTC's software engineering teams build applications for the web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of modern, cloud-native microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS. It is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
As an engineer in the Developer Automation & Release Tooling (DART) group within DTC, you'll be joining a team that is responsible for building a truly global, self-service platform to enable DTC's growing number of engineering teams to build, test, deploy, and manage the complete operational life cycle of their services in a fully autonomous fashion.
Your role will focus on the development of the platform core and common platform services. You'll solve problems related to complex cloud-infrastructure automation, multi-region networking, authentication/authorization, logging/metrics collection at scale, and the management of large-scale Kubernetes cluster deployments across many AWS accounts. You'll architect platform APIs for other teams to build on top of, you'll develop Kubernetes operators, you'll design processes/workflows, and you'll help to do it all in a collaborative, team environment using modern, rigorous software development practices that emphasize testability, repeatability, and automation.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a wide breadth of experience across the entire software stack, as well as deep expertise in at least two of the following disciplines:
1. Containerization & Container Orchestration (i.e. Docker, Kubernetes)
2. Cloud Infrastructure Automation (AWS strongly preferred)
3. Linux System Administration
5. Distributed Systems Development (e.g. asynchronous communication patterns, consensus algorithms, distributed transactions)
6. Services Programming (e.g. Go-lang, Java, Kotlin, Scala, Clojure, Python, Ruby)
7. Systems Programming (e.g. C, C++, Rust)
In addition, the ideal candidate's skills will match well to the following:
1. Experience automating development workflow pipelines
2. Operational experience (i.e. on-call rotation, incident response)
3. Hands-on Kubernetes experience - preferably at scale with multiple clusters
4. AWS Cloud Infrastructure experience, including at least one Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tool (e.g. Terraform, CDK, Pulumi, CloudFormation)
5. Ability to collaborate effectively with remote peers across disparate geographies and timezones
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis on technical documentation (including diagramming)
7. Strong CS fundamentals
8. Nice to have: CDK, CloudFormation, EKS, Istio, Envoy, Helm, Kubernetes Operator development, Go-lang, PHP, Prometheus (with Cortex), ELK, Jenkins, Kafka/Kinesis
Beyond the prerequisite skills, the ideal candidate will bring passion and enthusiasm to a growing team of engineers. They will have a track record of shipping quality code to production on a consistent basis and a history of working as part of a team in a collaborative environment. Importantly, the ideal candidate will thrive under minimal supervision with the ability to self-motivate and self-organize within the team structure.
Additionally, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.