As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really
much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers. Your written and oral communication skills are superb.
1. You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop complex functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
2. You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
3. You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team. You understand how individual pieces of software fit into a greater ecosystem, and can actively communicate and advocate for choices among multiple stakeholders.
4. You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
3. Experience using version control, package management, and build systems such as GIT, NPM, Yarn, Babel, Webpack, Grunt
4. Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance)
5. Must have the legal right to work in the United States
1. Experience with Java, C/C++, C#, Objective C, Python, or Go
2. Experience with both relational and non-relational databases
3. Experience developing and deploying hybrid web applications