Software Development Engineer
New York, NY
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand.
We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our team. The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
1. You are experienced and capable of playing a prominent role in designing and developing major feature development as well as making critical changes to existing applications in a multi-team setting. You make informed decisions as to when to refactor, rewrite or extend.
2. You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
3. You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
4. You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
* 4+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 2+ years of professional experience working with BrightScript (preferably with the SceneGraph SDK).
* Commanding knowledge of component rendering, threads, debugging and performance across a wide range of Roku devices, from newer to older, low-performance models.
* Experience with public and private channel deployment.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* You are comfortable with collaborating using Git.
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo.
* Skills with optimizing rendering performance using profiling and debugging tools.
* Familiarity with real-time performance monitoring and identifying, resolving optimizing performance issues in production and at scale.
* Experience with Roku Ad Framework (RAF) a plus.
* Experience with Roku Marketing Framework (RMF) a plus.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.