Software Development Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay. The Direct-to-Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for our large footprint of Discovery-owned networks. This growing, global engineering group is crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are excited to be recruiting for the position of Software Development Engineer II (iOS), to join Discovery, a leading Video on Demand provider worldwide with plans for rapid expansion The successful candidate will work within a team of Engineers developing the customer-facing applications and will have responsibility for the day-to-day development of new features worldwide, across our iOS applications (SWIFT), ensuring that our apps are delivered on time, within budget and meeting quality specifications and goals set out by the business and expected by our customers. As the Software Development Engineer II, you will work closely with other Engineers in the team and be part of planning sprints and working on new feature and bug fixes.
To be successful in this position, you should have a strong understanding of the iOS SDK and have experience with unit tests. You have demonstrated the ability to use common industry tools for software development including but not limited to IDEs, build and continuous integration, source control management, code review tools, and you are able to build software in a professional team environment delivered to production using these tools. You are able to provide technical documentation describing your contributions and contribute enhancements to your team’s best practices
Key Skills and Experience
• Excellent technical awareness and skills, prior development experience of shipping iOS applications (SWIFT).
• Proven understanding of SOLID Principles, Human Interface Guidelines, MVVM/VIP, TDD
• Experience working in an agile environment
• Experience building dynamic customer-facing apps that use RESTful APIs to operate
• Experience building modular apps, or migrating a monolithic app to a modular architecture
• Knowledge of development best practices, including coding guidelines
• Experience with apps interacting with an AWS backend and knowledge of AWS SDKs
• Knowledge of or previous experience with VOD is a plus, including experience working with video playback on iOS apps
• Experience with RxSwift, AVFoundation Framework, GraphQL API, AWS, Firebase, Fastlane, tvOS Development and/or BDD highly desirable
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.