Software Development Engineer
London, United Kingdom
Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team is responsible for building the experimentation and analytics platform for Discovery's global digital platform.
If you delight in data science and using the latest in Ai/ML to help use data to make and drive decisions for millions of customers across web, mobile and connected devices, then this is the role for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalog video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks including Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, and Discovery Play.
We are hiring Frontend Software Development Engineers to join our LABS team in London. The successful candidates will have a track record of building multiple, high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your approach and work will be exemplary, and you will have a proven background in driving best practices and setting standards for your team.
You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgment making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader who encourages fellow Engineers and other team members to be more productive, by sharing your knowledge and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other Engineers.
• Expert in ReactJS & Node.js.
• Experience with some or all of the technology in our stacks, including ReactNative, iOS, Android, and BrightScript (Roku)
• You work autonomously to design and develop functional changes to existing software systems
• Expert with Docker and good understanding Kubernetes (K8)
• Expert in CSS and frontend technologies (BEM, PostCSS, ModularCSS etc)
• Expert in data visualization, charting, and interactive animations.
• Expert in Asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming, and experience implementing with backend technologies such as Node.js & Go.
• Expert in writing unit, functional, visual regression, and e2e to tests for frontend apps
• Expert in realizing responsive designs for web applications.
• You have worked with and well experienced with visual regression testing.
• Knowledge of, and professional experience with most of the AWS services (EKS, MSK, EC2, S3, Kinesis, DynamoDB, CloudFront, and CloudWatch).
• You require little or no guidance from team members. You still actively seek input where appropriate and engage your team to inform and share what you are doing
• You can collaborate with other engineers assisting on features another engineer designed or taking the lead on feature design yourself
• Your software contributions are demonstrated to work in production, and your team trusts your decisions, designs, and code
• You consistently demonstrated good software ownership practices (e.g. code reviews, code comments, etc) in all of your contributions
• Your code reviews are uneventful, you prepare documentation proactively, and you ensure proper monitoring for operational excellence in production
• You offer enhancements to best practices, document, design, and architecture improvements, and as feedback through code reviews to other engineers without continuous prompting or recurring encouragement. Other engineers appreciate your feedback
• You can troubleshoot a production issue by reviewing source code, logs, operational metrics, and stack trace to pinpoint a specific problem and then resolve it.
• Experience in improving the frontend performance of applications.
• Strong interest in design and UX/UI best practices.
• High level of understanding around accessibility.
• Experience with one or more of the following datastores - AWS Dynamodb, AWS Athena, PostgreSQL, and MySQL
• Caching solutions (such as Redis, Memcache),
• Search engine technology (preferably ElasticSearch)
• Experience working in the field of data science.
• Experience with working with Contextual Multi-arm bandit problem scopes, probabilities, and data attribution.
• Experience of Machine & reinforcement learning techniques
• Working with large data sets
• Experience of event-driven systems and data pipelines
• Usage and understanding of Kafka clusters and streaming architecture.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.