Software Development Engineer - Video Player
We are hiring a Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, Washington to join the cross-platform player technology team. This team will be part of the Discovery global platform team developing a Direct to Consumer platform for customers across Discovery's wide array of direct-to-consumer products, across entertainment, food, home, auto, nature, and science. The diversity of users spread across 220 countries within the Discovery portfolio provides a unique challenge to help develop a truly global cross platform video player platform. The engineer will have demonstrated knowledge of shipping production code utilizing sound software engineering practices including object oriented design and programming. They will always champion for consumer experience when it comes to video playback & player features. They are excited by the use of innovative technologies to solve consumer desires & pain points & delight them in the act of video consumption.
This engineer will collaborate with product teams, product management, Ad tech teams and design teams to build and maintain a scalable cross device player platform. This engineer will have strong attention to detail and understand & follows agile methods; adapt to dynamic & changing environment and communicate with clarity and simplicity in a timely manner. You will work cross-functionally with Product Managers, Engineers to execute against the roadmap to meet and exceed goals.
An ideal candidate will be a creative thinker, result-driven and passionate about consumer video experiences & drive innovation and produce delightful experiences for our customers. This person will advocate for data-driven decision making, have an insatiable curiosity, love to invent and innovate to solve difficult problems, and obsess about their customers. The candidate will have a strong point of view but remain open-minded should evidence lead elsewhere. This engineer takes ownership of their work and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• Assist in developing a cross-platform video player that exceeds consumer expectations with regards to usability and performance.
• Work cross-functionally with product teams to understand the needs of their consumer.
• Collaborate with other engineers both within and outside the team to find efficient solutions.
• Use common industry best practices when developing software and follow agile principles.
• Troubleshoot production issues by reviewing source code and logs.
• Some understanding of video technologies with specific experience in video player development.
• Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnbb91-18-204-48-64-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.