The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a senior software development manager to join our team and lead the development and operations of the web/mobile/Connected TV apps for our Magnolia product, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Magnolia. You’ll be part of a team of talented web/mobile/Connected TV engineers, work closely with our product, design and engineering teams that are located in many offices throughout the world.
• Lead and participate in the technical decisions for a new product area
• Work with the global architecture team to break down high-level product vision into manageable pieces for development execution
• Collaborate with other team members to build shared services that can serve many applications and scale independently
• Collaborate with the UX design team to drive for the best possible end-user experience
• Design architecture to support functionality across multiple platforms
• Contribute ideas for continually improving the team’s productivity, job enjoyment, code quality, and engineering excellence
• Focus on Application Security of both user data and content
• Enable our product team to tap into our valuable data sources and build incredible features for our customers
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• Possesses the ability to multitask and juggle competing priorities, work on multiple sub-projects simultaneously dealing with various stakeholders
• You are passionate about software development and designing intuitive UI
• You have 7+ years’ experience developing commercial software products with 5+ years’ experience of building web, mobile apps and/or connected tv apps
• A good track record on building and growing high-performing engineering teams.
• Excellent understanding of automated QA tools for testing front-ends across various platforms
• Excellent understanding of front-end app metrics
• Excellent understanding of software/app release processes across various platforms
• Great problem solving, troubleshooting and performance tuning skills
• Proven ability to drive impact and generate results
• Excellent executive communication skills to explain platform vision and operational metrics
• Excellent teamwork and influencing abilities to lead and influence without direct management authority
• BS/MS degree in Computer Science or related fields
• Experience with OTT and connected devices is a definite plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.