Software Development Engineer
We are hiring a Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, Washington to join the cross-platform player technology team. This team will be part of the Discovery global platform team developing a Direct to Consumer platform for customers across Discovery’s wide array of direct-to-consumer products, across entertainment, food, home, auto, nature, and science. The diversity of users spread across 220 countries within the Discovery portfolio provides a unique challenge to help develop a truly global cross platform video player platform. A successful candidate will have deep experience in media streaming and related areas including video encoding, streaming protocols, content delivery and DRM. Prior experience with designing, implementing and launching SDKs and/or SDK components is required.
This engineer will collaborate with product teams, product management, Ad tech teams and design teams to build and maintain a scalable cross device player platform. They will identify and implement process improvements and champion best practices for the larger Discovery DTC Engineering community. This engineer will have strong attention to detail and understand & follow agile methods; adapt to dynamic & changing environment and communicate with simplicity & in a timely manner. They will mine customer feedback data and playback analytics to identify opportunities to enhance the player framework.
An ideal candidate will be a creative thinker and passionate about consumer video experiences & drive innovation and produce delightful experiences for our customers. This person will demonstrate data-driven decision making, have an insatiable curiosity, love to invent and innovate to solve difficult problems, and obsess about their customers. The candidate will have a strong point of view but remain open-minded should evidence lead elsewhere. This engineer takes ownership of their work and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• Spearhead the architecture and implementation of an extensible player platform that will target mobile, web and Living Room (LR) with reusable components and sets a high benchmark for usability and performance.
• Partition software solutions across players, clients and backends utilizing suitable architecture patterns. Lead system and API design discussions across platforms (mobile, web, LR) and
establish client/player contracts for media playback experiences for VOD, Live and offline playback.
• Provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• Make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• Mentor senior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
• Minimum of 5+ years developing client-facing applications for Web, mobile, consoles or TV.
• Proficient in developing applications with multiple high level languages among Kotlin / Swift / Java / C++ / C with detailed knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
• In-depth understanding of common architectural and design patterns and demonstrated application of these to solve real world problems.
• Deep expertise in media frameworks, video codecs, streaming technologies required. Hands-on experience with at least one streaming technology (HLS, DASH, SS) and associated components (DRM, Ad Tech) is crucial.
• Demonstrated experience building and launching media experiences for mobile, web or living room devices spanning front and backends. Contributions to industry standards and intellectual property development is highly desirable.
• Proven experience embracing open source or native platform capabilities in developing solutions that delight customers.
• Drive “order of magnitude” improvements in ambiguous situations and in a fast paced and matrixed organization.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Can effectively communicate vision and plan with the audience.
• Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.