Sr Data Engineer
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring a senior software development engineer to join our team and lead the development and operations of the web/mobile/connected TV apps for our Magnolia product, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Magnolia. You'll be part of a team of talented web/mobile/Connected TV engineers, work closely with our product, design and engineering teams that are located in many offices throughout the world.
You are a specialist with a serious level of experience and skill in working with service oriented architecture and back-end technologies and proven ability to deliver code with high levels of speed and quality. You communicate effectively across all levels of the organization and are a technical leader through your guidance, collaboration, and mentoring of engineering staff. You are passionate about technology and generate a positive impact throughout the organization through your influence, drive, and collaboration across departments.
• Lead and participate in the technical decisions for a new product area
• Work with the global architecture team to break down high-level product vision into manageable pieces for development execution
• Collaborate with other team members to build shared services that can serve many applications and scale independently
• Design architecture to support functionality across multiple platforms
• Support/mentor other developers on the team through brainstorming, design review, code review, etc.
• Contribute ideas for continually improving the team's productivity, job enjoyment, code quality, and engineering excellence
• Focus on Application Security of both user data and content
• Enable our product team to tap into our valuable data sources and build incredible features for our customers
• Actively participate in all development projects and work together to create high-quality solutions
• Possesses the ability to multitask and juggle competing priorities, work on multiple sub-projects simultaneously dealing with various stakeholders
• You are passionate about software development and designing and delivering results in a fast-paced environment.
• You have 7+ years' experience developing commercial software products with 5+ years' experience of building large-scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning
• Expert in computer science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Excellent understanding or service frameworks such as REST and GraphQL, implementing and consuming large-scale web services.
• Expert knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Great problem solving, troubleshooting and performance tuning skills
• Proven ability to drive impact and generate results
• Excellent teamwork and influencing abilities to lead and influence without direct management authority
• Self-starter • BS/MS degree in Computer Science or related fields
• Experience with OTT and connected devices is a definite plus
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpk57e-54-174-225-82-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.