As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring a Software Development Engineer II to join our Content Interactivity team part of the Direct-to-Consumer Global Technology group. As a core technical member in the team, this individual will make significant contributions to Rating and Reviews Platform, Recommendations platform, User Behaviour tracking in real time and services & integrations that would enable the Discovery users explore content seamlessly across the digital platforms.
The ideal candidate has an established background in developing customer-obsessed experiences, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, a high level of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and of course, passion for technology.
• Build a deep understanding of Discovery Digital Platforms, User Base and their Content Interactivity product roadmaps.
• Work closely with the software development manager and mentors in the team to stay on top of technical architecture, roadmap and apply the guiding principles in the software development.
• Design, develop and integrate Content interactivity frameworks, services and infrastructure that enable best user experience in accessing the integrated digital content.
• Enhance and support existing Content interactivity services and integrations.
• Demonstrate proactiveness in owning the delivered software and be responsible for documentation, release management and production support.
• Be vocal with the product ideas & technology recommendations, suggestions and concerns that influence the team working environment.
• Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 5+ years of development experience in consumer-focused companies
• Proven technical experience as a software developer
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures & algorithms
• Familiar with cloud computing infrastructure like AWS and/or Azure and/or GCP
• Experience developing in node/typescript
• Experience architecting and building large distributed scalable systems
• Ability to work with a diverse, distributed and agile team
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Very strong communication skills
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded distributed systems
• Experience with Kafka, Elastic Search, Dynamo DB, Grafana
• Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d87m7k-3-236-84-188-42 in your application.