Software Development Engineer
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn't stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team is responsible for building the experimentation and analytics platform for Discovery's global digital platform.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are hiring Software Development Engineers to join our team in India.
The successful candidates will have a track record of building multiple, high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your approach and work will be exemplary, and you will have a proven background in driving best practices and setting standards for your team.
You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgment making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader who encourages fellow Engineers and other team members to be more productive, by sharing your knowledge and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other Engineers.
• You are hands-on and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers.
• You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
• Minimum of 5+ years of Mobile apps development experience
• Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance tuning)
• Deep understanding of the nuances of the Android SDK, different versions of Android.
• Experience building modular apps with principles such as TDD, dependency injection & automated testing.
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring.
• Strong computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.