Software Development Engineer
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn't stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our team – a foundational pillar of the direct to consumer group.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
• You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
• You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality and code reviews, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
* Experience developing high-throughput backend services scaling to hundreds of millions of users in real-time and on-demand transactions in server-server and client-server applications.
* Experience with online video applications and services in any of the following areas is a big plus: metadata services, video ingestion, transcoding and DRM or playback services.
* Hands-on experience designing and developing distributed, asynchronous services involving many components and using popular tech stacks and design patterns.
* Experience with most AWS services, and deep knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch and other content delivery networks.
* Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes, and expert-level coding experience in Java or C#, TypeScript or Go.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.