Eurosport Digital is Discovery's primary drive into the Direct to Consumer business in Europe. It currently comprises two parts; Eurosport.com - the continent's number one sports news website - and Eurosport Player, a leading subscription-based OTT sports platform available across Europe.
The business is in a period of high growth, fueled by investment in rights, marketing, product and content.
We are hiring a Software Development Engineer to join our direct-to-consumer team.. A successful candidate will have wide ranging experience in media streaming and related areas including video encoding, streaming protocols, content delivery and DRM. Prior experience with designing, implementing and launching player SDKs and/or SDK components is a definite plus.
They will always champion for consumer experience when it comes to video playback & player features. They are excited by the use of innovative technologies to solve consumer desires & pain points & delight
them in the act of video consumption.
This engineer will collaborate with product teams, product management, Ad tech teams and design teams to build and maintain a scalable cross device player platform. This engineer will have strong attention to detail and understand & follow agile methods; adapt to dynamic & changing environment and communicate with simplicity & in a timely manner. You will work cross-functionally with Product Managers, Engineers to execute against the roadmap to meet and exceed goals.
An ideal candidate will be a creative thinker, result-driven and passionate about consumer video experiences & drive innovation and produce delightful experiences for our customers. This person will
advocate for data-driven decision making, have an insatiable curiosity, love to invent and innovate to solve difficult problems, and obsess about their customers. The candidate will have a strong point of view but remain open-minded should evidence lead elsewhere. This engineer takes ownership of their work and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• Develop a cross-platform video player that exceeds consumer expectations with regards to usability and performance.
• Play a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
• Provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• Make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• Mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
• Define and direct contract definition between client and backend components for new features.
• Minimum of 8+ years developing client-facing applications for Web, mobile, consoles or TV.
• Experience in media frameworks, video codecs, streaming technologies (HLS/DASH), DRM (Widevine/FairPlay, PlayReady) and/or Ad tech (VAST/VMAP, VPAID, Open Measurement, Nielsen/Comscore) required.
• Proven experience embracing open source or native platform capabilities in developing solutions that delight customers
• Drive ''order of magnitude'' improvements in ambiguous situations and in a fast paced and matrixed organization.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Can effectively communicate vision and plan with the audience.
• Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv1y5j-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.