Automation & Reliability Engineer
London, United Kingdom
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our team. The Global Identity team provides all the services to store customer credentials, customer preferences, manage their accounts, register, and sign up on all platforms.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
• Develop a cross-platform video player that exceeds consumer expectations with regards to usability and performance.
• Play a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
• Provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• Make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• Mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
• Define and direct contract definition between client and backend components for new features.
• Minimum of 8+ years developing client-facing applications for Web, mobile, consoles or TV.
• Experience in media frameworks, video codecs, streaming technologies (HLS/DASH), DRM (Widevine/FairPlay, PlayReady) and/or Ad tech (VAST/VMAP, VPAID, Open Measurement, Nielsen/Comscore) required.
• Proven experience embracing open source or native platform capabilities in developing solutions that delight customers
• Drive ''order of magnitude'' improvements in ambiguous situations and in a fast paced and matrixed organization.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Can effectively communicate vision and plan with the audience.
• Experience in working across product, engineering, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss technical concepts, create scalable designs, implement new models, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.