Software Development Engineer - Front End
Who We Are
The Direct to Consumer Group (DTC) is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global streaming video platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's diverse brands including Discovery, Discovery+, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more.
DTC's software engineering teams build applications for web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of modern, cloud-native microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS. It is a growing, distributed, and global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
What You'll Do
As an engineer in the Global Release Tooling (GRT) team within DTC, you'll be joining a team that is responsible for building a global, self-service platform to enable DTC's growing number of engineering teams to build, test, deploy, and manage the complete operational life cycle of their services in a fully autonomous fashion.
Your role will focus on the following:
1. Lead design automation patterns to build, test, and delivery various application types. Take designs and break them down into executable pieces of work.
2. Write tools and backend API's used by Discovery engineering teams to build software.
3. Provide mentorship to your fellow engineers.
4. Pursue operational excellence for the software you and your team create (constructive code reviews, comments, unit tests, monitoring).
5. Collaborate with application teams to elevate their expertise in shipping software to customers.
6. Participate in a team on-call schedule to manage services owned by the team.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate will have a software engineering background with extensive experience automating the build, test, release process across several production systems and apps with deep experience in:
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to diagram processes and connected systems and present ideas to your team or partner teams.
2. You have subject-matter expertise related to one or more production software systems and demonstrated a pattern of shipping high quality feature changes in those, or similar, systems.
3. You require little oversight in the software development process.
4. You think about the long-term health of your code, your monitoring, your alerting, and your documentation. You nurture all of these in parallel to your software development responsibilities.
5. You are able to lead the design and development of more complex feature enhancements involving yourself and one or more additional engineers. You solve business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices.
6. You have been a software engineer in your past and are now focused on building software for other engineers.
1. Automated pipeline guru in at least one of the following.
a. Jenkins, CircleCI, TravisCI, Bamboo.
2. Familiarity with automated testing techniques.
3. Familiarity with deploying applications to Kubernetes using Helm
4. Cloud infrastructure and automation using CloudFormation or Terraform.
5. Strong proficiency in coding with experience with at least two of the following: Groovy, NodeJS, TypeScript, Bash, Python, Java, Go, Ruby, Java.
NYC, Knoxville, Seattle preferred
(Remote locations in states in which Discovery has a business presence.)
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj2ey1-3-238-98-214-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.