Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK. As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring.
For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn't stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.
Discovery is the world's leading non-fiction media company with a reach of three billion viewers in 220 countries.
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) group is an Engineering company within the Discovery brand. DTC's engineering teams build applications for Web, Mobile, Connected TVs, and Consoles/STBs covering features like Search, Playback, ML-driven Recommendation, Subscriptions, Payments, etc. We are building a Global Video Streaming Platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's brands (Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Golf TV, Food Network, Eurosport, and many more) including the recently launched Discovery+. These applications are powered by a fleet of cloud-native microservices for Content Ingestion, Metadata processing, Video encoding & Ad Tech platform on AWS containers & serverless-compute.
Meet Our Team
We are the Product Engineering group for the Direct-2-Consumer business, and responsible for building video streaming Mobile & OTT applications for TVE/GO brands (18 channels in total!). Our front-end teams build user experience for search, catalog, video streaming, personalization, subscriptions, payments, and much more.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable Android apps that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team's strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgment making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
Roles & Responsibilities
• You are hands-on and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers.
• You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
• You make high-impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
• You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
What to Bring
• Minimum of 7+ years of Android experience developing Mobile applications (Kotlin preferred).
• Solid understanding of the mobile development life cycle, Google developer portal, & Play deployments.
• Deep understanding of the nuances of the Android SDK, different versions of Android, and how to effectively design & write code for a multitude of Android devices.
• Experience building modern apps with principles such as TDD, dependency injection, CI/CD, automated testing, modular apps (i.e. Android library modules, etc.)
• Experience in DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Strong computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem-solving, and complexity analysis.
What we Offer
• A Great Place to work
• Equal opportunity employer
• Fast track growth opportunities
Discovery is governed by our eight guiding principles:
We Are... One Team, Creative Dreamers, Doers. Consumer Obsessed. Global, Quick & Agile, Purposeful and We Do the Right Thing
Discovery's Guiding Principles define the distinctive character, spirit, and attitude of our organization. They inspire how we design our future and recruit talent.
Diversity & Inclusion
Disclaimer: Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw7m9y-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.