Software Development Engineer III, Bangalore
Discovery is the world's leading non-fiction media company with a reach of three billion viewers in 220 countries.
The Direct to Consumer (DTC) group is an Engineering company within the Discovery brand. DTC's engineering teams build applications for Web, Mobile, Connected TVs and Consoles/STBs covering features like Search, Playback, ML driven Recommendation, Subscriptions, Payments etc. We are building a Global Video Streaming Platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's brands (Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Golf TV, Food Network, Eurosport, and many more) including the recently launched Discovery+. These applications are powered by a fleet of cloud-native microservices for Content Ingestion, Metadata processing, Video encoding & Ad Tech platform on AWS containers & serverless-compute.
Meet Our Team:
The Partner Integration Program is sponsored by the DTC Global Platform organization that unifies Technology, Commercial and Brands/Products into a one team for the purpose of performing technical integrations to provide Discovery services to customers of our partners throughout the world. This is a great opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and resiliency problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Scope & Complexity You have acquired subject-matter expertise over one or more production software systems and demonstrated a pattern of shipping high quality feature changes in that or those system(s).
• Decision Making You solve business problems with simple and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices. You are able to lead the design and development of the most complex enhancements involving yourself and other engineers.
• Execution You have built multiple stable, scalable feature changes that have been successfully shipped to customers in production.
• Operations Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a role model to other teams. Your software contributions in production are the model for highly available, low latency, and efficient software. Your documentation in code, on technical designs, and operations provide clarity to any engineer interacting with your software or its code.
• Influence You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
• Communication You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams. You can effectively represent the technical decisions from your team to senior stakeholders.
What to Bring:
• 8 - 12 years of experience with developing software in at least one modern programming language such as Go, Python, Java, C# or PHP
• Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance)
• Proficiency with optimizing for performance, scalability, algorithm design, problem solving, complexity analysis, debugging, and troubleshooting
• Experience with 3 rd party API consumption
• Experience with building API services for mobile application developers and 3 rd parties
• Experience with databases (MySQL, DynamoDB preferred), database design, query optimization
• Experience with building backend services on public cloud platforms, such as Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure and preferably AWS
• Experience and deep understanding with one of the following: Kafka, Kinesis, SNS and SQS
• Solid understanding of Docker and knowledge of best practices for building images. Experience with Kubernetes and an understanding of Kubernetes resources such as deployments, pods, and services
• Experience with a provisioning tool such as CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible, or an equivalent tool and a solid understanding of infrastructure as code
What We Offer:
• A Great Place to work
• Equal opportunity employer
• Fast track growth opportunities
Discovery is governed by our eight guiding principles:
We Are... One Team, Creative Dreamers, Doers. Consumer Obsessed. Global, Quick & Agile, Purposeful and We Do the Right Thing
Discovery's Guiding Principles define the distinctive character, spirit and attitude of our organization. They inspire how we design our future and recruit talent.
Diversity & Inclusion:
Disclaimer: Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6p869-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.