Discovery is looking for a Senior Program Manager to join our Direct To Consumer (DTC) Technology Team to create and lead a Knowledge Management and Onboarding Center of Excellence. Locations considered are Bellevue, WA or New York City. We are looking for that rare candidate with a technical background, exemplary written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to thrive with little process, direction, or oversight. This is a role inside a fast-paced start-up environment where we are also building process and structure befitting a major corporate entity. This position will appeal to a person who is excited by ambiguity and new product development while yearning to help shape the future of onboarding new technology talent and establish a consistent way to share knowledge across DTC Tech and the broader organization.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct To Consumer Group is a technology company within Discovery Inc. With Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, and many more brands to support, we build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications for smart TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles.
To support these experiences, we are building a global streaming video platform and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. The services are modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, covering everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions. The device platform spans consoles, smart TVs, web, mobile phones, and tablets. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are looking for a Senior Program Manager to create and lead a Knowledge Management Center of Excellence (CoE). This center will be responsible to create content in the form of a knowledge base and setup ways for new engineering talent to quickly onboard within DTC Tech. The knowledge base will encompass DTC Tech processes, systems, standards, templates and other onboarding related material. This leader will also create a brand-new recurring bootcamp that provides new and existing DTC Tech talent a repeatable way to onboard and adapt to standard practices & processes. They will create multiple channels to share knowledge and help engineering personnel connect the dots on an ongoing basis. They will be part of the DTC Tech PMO and will partner with Enterprise Architecture, Engineering, and People & Culture to deploy a knowledge management strategy and manage all associated deliverables.
The ideal candidate communicates clearly, organizes project timelines, secures commitments, manages risks, identifies the critical path, spots edge cases, reviews metrics & data, and builds knowledge management CoE processes and tools. They can switch effortlessly between modes adapting themselves to the needs of their work streams. They are a strong self-starter and therefore
have the ability to drill into business data and research results to identify clear direction and focus for their tasks, projects and programs. They continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge. Their interest in computer science has not faded as they moved into a project management role and they are still comfortable with technical details and giving regular feedback to engineers on their projects.
• Bachelor's degree with 10+ years of experience in project management (or Master's with 8 years) in the technology realm
• You have a large contribution in establishing a knowledge management strategy, deploying it, governing it and have communicated it broadly across an engineering organization
• You have demonstrated the ability to lead a knowledge management CoE
• You have created and/ or enhanced knowledge management processes, curated content and
deployed a simplified way for engineers to onboard quickly
• You have established multiple channels of communication and shared knowledge across technology organizations to help them adapt to standard ways of working
• You MUST have experience with JIRA, Confluence, Google Suite of products, other relevant tools
• Data literacy including one or more of: SQL, Tableau, Power BI, R tool usage, Smartsheet, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, AWS Redshift, and AWS Timestream. You are confident with data retrieval
• Familiarity with learning management systems required
• You must be proficient in collaboration tools, and familiar with querying data and building knowledge portals
• You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to understand organizational and corporate goals and ensured that your projects delivered what was required to hit these goals.
• You have the ability to plan budgets, adjust forecasts as necessary and track financial performance of an organization.
• You have demonstrated your written and verbal communication skills can be applied to business and technical areas across all levels, from the engineering teams to senior level executives.
• You have deep knowledge surrounding the knowledge management discipline and are familiar with standard tools offered in the industry.
• You have created processes and mechanisms, deployed tools and built partnerships across a technology organization to deliver on ambiguous and challenging goals.
• Good understanding of project management methodologies using Waterfall and Agile/Scrum
• You have shipped multiple high impact projects and used data to assess their impact.
• You love helping and mentoring others, have empathy, understand different methods of teaching and consuming information.
• You have experience with all phases of project delivery from concept to production, including defining features and deliverables, securing team commitments, establishing a project charter, handling all communication and reporting, overseeing development & deployment, and performing retrospective assessment using data and key performance indicators.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make decisions for more than one project or program area showing that your judgment is fungible, and you may be to handle more than one project simultaneously and successfully.
• Travel is required both domestic and international averaging about 20% (post pandemic)
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
• Technical background in software engineering or related field, ideally with professional experience as a software engineer.
• Additional technical literacy including knowledge of, and professional experience with, most AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch.
• Good understanding of software development methods like CI/CD, Agile Scrum, Waterfall, etc.
• Subject matter expertise in one or more of: payment processor integrations, information security, GDPR controls, content management systems, or personalization & recommendations engines.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.