San Francisco, CA
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications and platform capabilities to support all of our network's brands globally. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and more. It powers experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery products (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring Product Managers (Tech) to join our team!
The ideal candidate will have built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer of strategy for your team and business partners across the company, and you contribute significantly to company-wide plans. You exhibit strong judgement in making trade-offs between customer and business needs short and long term. You are a collaborative partner that makes your team and partners more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical and business decisions. Additional, you provide mentoring to others.
• Partner with key stakeholders at different Discovery brands to understand their needs, and translate that to current and future platform needs. You will need to gather and synthesize requirements from many different brands across a diverse set of geographies, timezones, and use cases into a consistent re-usable platform design that can serve them all.
• In concert with engineering, create and review detailed functional designs that unambiguously specify all public behaviors and interfaces, provide test examples, enumerate and describe all edge conditions, and define operational success criteria and KPI goals, which will then be used by engineering for technical designs. Technical program management will provide the ''why'' and the ''what'', while engineering provides the ''how''.
• Make sure your designs fit into the larger DTC platform, collaborating with other teams on consistency and cross-team integrations, leveraging existing patterns and strategies, and staying up to date on high-level roadmaps and challenges across the teams.
• Work with engineering to translate functional designs into user stories, provide insights on the functional repercussions of particular technical choices and challenges technical choices when necessary, adapt functional designs to fit schedule constraints, and manage and prioritize the story backlog
• Always be shipping: you will drive all processes around delivering the right software on time and on budget. You will participate in daily scrums and meta-scrums, pro-actively anticipate bottlenecks or resource contention, unblock development, triage issues, modify or rescope stories to reduce risk, and accept stories when they are done.
• Regularly engage stakeholders and external teams to communicate the status of various in-flight development, and anticipate the result of schedule changes to other teams
• Analyze and track operational KPIs that you own, finding the right roadmap blend between new feature work and maintenance/sustained engineering. You will be responsible for maintaining the general operational snapshot of your feature area and presenting it as necessary.
• During live-site escalations, provide leadership and analysis based on your understanding of customer use-cases. You will be paged if your service tips over: so make sure your functional design is resilient.
• Participate in the review of outages and provide feedback to prevent future occurrences.
• Do outreach and evangelism to brands and other platform teams, maintaining and presenting the roadmap presentation for your area
• Where necessary, serve as the ongoing direct liaison between a given brand's team and the platform group, helping identify platform gaps and assisting the brand with a project or launch.
• Act as the subject-matter expert for their functional area for people outside of their team.
• Contribute to and review documentation for public-facing APIs and features
• Research potential partners to accelerate our roadmap by creating evaluation criteria, connecting and managing relationships with partners, and prototyping potential integrations
• At least 12 years of Product Management experience for a technology / software product, with day to day understanding of the technologies involved.
• Experience with microservices architectures, operational use of cloud computing applications.
• At least 12 years software experience at an engineering level highly preferred.
• Experience as a technical leader, leading the design and development of complex applications.
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability and confidence to work closely with select customers in pre-sales and collaborative scenarios.
• A BS degree in computer science or a related field is required.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4wjwz-3-235-179-111-42 in your application.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.