Product Manager - Tech
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a streaming video platform and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We power end-user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery+, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring senior technical product managers to join our team. We focus on all aspects of streaming video: live and VOD pipelines, metadata transformation, server-side ad insertion, CDN integrations, playback services, video player backends, AI/ML-based personalization, and video operations. The ideal candidate has a track record of having product managed multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge and providing a clear prioritized product roadmap. You provide mentoring to others.
• Partner with key stakeholders at different Discovery brands to understand their current platform needs and anticipate future platform needs. You will need to gather and synthesize requirements from many different brands across a diverse set of geographies, timezones, and use cases into a single product roadmap that can serve them all.
• Bring analytic rigor to decisions around product direction, priorities, and scope, describing the pros and cons of different options in a way that a distributed team can come to a decision on the right course of action.
• Maintain a prioritized product roadmap for your area, and present the status of that roadmap on a regular basis to stakeholders, other teams, and executives
• Create and review detailed functional designs and FAQs that unambiguously specify all public behaviors and interfaces, provide test examples, enumerate and describe all edge conditions, and define operational success criteria and KPI goals, which will then be used by engineering for technical designs. Technical product management will provide the ''why'' and the ''what'', while engineering and technical program management will provide the ''how'', ''who'', and ''when''.
• Make sure your designs fit into the larger DTC platform, collaborating with other teams on consistency and cross-team integrations, leveraging existing patterns and strategies, and staying up to date on high-level roadmaps and challenges across different teams.
• Regularly engage stakeholders and external teams to communicate the status of various in-flight development, and anticipate the result of schedule changes to other teams
• Analyze and track operational KPIs that you own, finding the right roadmap blend between new feature work and maintenance/sustained engineering. You will be responsible for maintaining the general operational snapshot of your feature area and presenting it as necessary.
• Do outreach and evangelism to brands and other platform teams, maintaining and presenting the roadmap presentation for your area
• Act as the subject-matter expert for your product area for people outside of their team.
• Contribute to and review documentation for public-facing APIs and features
• Research potential partners to accelerate our roadmap by creating evaluation criteria, connecting and managing relationships with partners, and prototyping potential integrations
• At least 5 years technical product management experience in a software product development environment including direct experience in operational cloud computing applications.
• Technical literacy in multi-tenant cloud-based platform services.
• Proven experience as a product leader. Demonstrated ability to lead the design of complex applications.
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability and confidence to work closely with select customers in pre-sales and collaborative scenarios.
• A BS degree in computer science or a related technical field is preferred.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.